1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Dianne Reeves

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I just recently started getting into Jazz for the past 6 months or so. I have since picked up most of the Diana Krall CDs, The Essential Miles Davis...etc..etc..
    I also picked up the Dianne Reeves CD, "The Calling, Celebrating Sarah Vaughan". This is the CD that I keep coming back to, listening again and again. I have read some negative reviews on this CD, particularly on AllMusic.com.
    Am I missing something!? This CD is simply amazing, IMHO. I love the orchestra! I fell asleep last night listening to it, while breaking in my new Sennheiser 570s [​IMG]
    I enjoy all of my Diana Krall CDs, but Dianne Reeves seems like a more 'experienced' singer to me, and it shows.
    Does anyone else agree with me?

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I hate to disagree with you, but I don't like it. I've listened to it all the way through only once, so my opinion might change with repeated plays. But I just don't like her voice. The orchestrations, however, are first-rate. I'm going to keep trying with this CD. I don't want to give up too soon.

3. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Pick up Terrence Blanchard's "Let's Get Lost". Great CD with Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, Dianne Reeves and Cassandra Wilson.

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I guess it's just a matter of personal tastes! In all actuality, there isn't alot of music that I DON'T like.

5. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

It is a different Dianne Reeves album. I had to listen a few times before I could enjoy it. As both a Dianne Reeve and Sarah Vaughan fan, I was disappointed at first blush. My expectations were in different directions. After the third listen I began to see and hear a very valid and beautiful approach. Ms. Reeves is in fine voice and the music is superb. I had to shake off my "today's music" sensibilities and found that although the music is old and the sound reminiscent of yesterday it is quite modern and futuristic.
    I love it.
    rw

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Well, look at it from my point of view.
    1.) NEVER even listened to a Sarah Vaughan album before!
    2.) Listening to these songs for basically the first time
    through this CD.
    That's probably why I like them so much.