What's new

Dianne Reeves (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I just recently started getting into Jazz for the past 6 months or so. I have since picked up most of the Diana Krall CDs, The Essential Miles Davis...etc..etc..
I also picked up the Dianne Reeves CD, "The Calling, Celebrating Sarah Vaughan". This is the CD that I keep coming back to, listening again and again. I have read some negative reviews on this CD, particularly on AllMusic.com.
Am I missing something!? This CD is simply amazing, IMHO. I love the orchestra! I fell asleep last night listening to it, while breaking in my new Sennheiser 570s :)
I enjoy all of my Diana Krall CDs, but Dianne Reeves seems like a more 'experienced' singer to me, and it shows.
Does anyone else agree with me?

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I hate to disagree with you, but I don't like it. I've listened to it all the way through only once, so my opinion might change with repeated plays. But I just don't like her voice. The orchestrations, however, are first-rate. I'm going to keep trying with this CD. I don't want to give up too soon.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Pick up Terrence Blanchard's "Let's Get Lost". Great CD with Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, Dianne Reeves and Cassandra Wilson.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I guess it's just a matter of personal tastes! In all actuality, there isn't alot of music that I DON'T like.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
It is a different Dianne Reeves album. I had to listen a few times before I could enjoy it. As both a Dianne Reeve and Sarah Vaughan fan, I was disappointed at first blush. My expectations were in different directions. After the third listen I began to see and hear a very valid and beautiful approach. Ms. Reeves is in fine voice and the music is superb. I had to shake off my "today's music" sensibilities and found that although the music is old and the sound reminiscent of yesterday it is quite modern and futuristic.
I love it.
rw

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Well, look at it from my point of view.
1.) NEVER even listened to a Sarah Vaughan album before!
2.) Listening to these songs for basically the first time
through this CD.
That's probably why I like them so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks