What's new

Diana Krall - which SACD? (1 Viewer)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I've been thinking of buying a Diana Krall multi-ch SACD to try (never heard any of her stuff before). Which should I get?

I like Norah Jones, but think she's way overrated.

Sathyan

Second Unit
It's hard to say what you may prefer. Try to listen to some track samples. I much prefer When I Look Into Your Eyes to Look of Love. I find the performances more convincing and recording better. The arrangements on the LoL disc are a bit too "easy listening".

IMO, Diana Krall's older releases (which are not available in high-rez) are even better. I'm hoping "Love Scenes" and "All for You" will be released on SACD.

One more thing, the LoL is hybrid, WILIYE is single layer.

I'm saying all thing as a far of Norah Jones (bought 3 times: CD, DVD-V, and SACD).

If you just want a recording of this genre in high-rez, get Jacintha's Lush Life. It is superior in every way.

Sathyan

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
"When I look into your eyes" is a better album IMO,but the 5.1 mix is one of the worst I heard on any format.This is the only MC disc that I listen the 2ch layer only.
I only have Look Of Love on CD,and because of the "bad experience" with the other Krall SACD[MC] I'm reluctant to buy it on SACD.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

I agree with Lewis on the M/C mix, but the stereo mix is awesome, and the content is better than "The Look Of Love".

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Both discs sound real good, but the only Diana Krall that I listen to extensively is "Live in Paris" (not on SACD). Her studio stuff is a tad too canned for me, far too precious and overproduced, and I simply didn't take her at all seriously until I heard her live. Her vocals are looser, the music's looser, and it all sounds a bit more like jazz to my ears. And her cover of Joni's "A Case of You" is probably my favorite tune she does.

As far as that "sorta jazz/vocal stylist" thing goes (and on SACD), I prefer Patricia Barber. And I can't wait till Blue Note finally releases some Cassandra Wilson ("New Moon Daughter" due out sometime this fall).

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Her studio stuff is a tad too canned for me, far too precious and overproduced, and I simply didn't take her at all seriously until I heard her live.
Check out her first album "Steppin' Out",it has no orchrestra just a jazz trio icluding her.She's very "lively" as performer and the remastered version I have [CD] is superbly recorded/mastered said to use 24/96 technology.
Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks