Diana Krall "The Look of Love" SACD...Oh My!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patricio M, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

I just received the SACD of this album yesterday and listened to it...wow! The sound is incredible and is now my new reference SACD (bumped Live Recordings at Red Rose Music to no. 2). It is very well balanced and many nuances have surfaced that I was not able to hear on the CD version. If you own the Red Book CD version, this is a must have. It's also a hybrid disc, so you can play it on a regular CD player (not that you would want to though).

2. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

I ordered my copy from CC the other day. I'm looking forward to hearing this disc especially after reading your endorsement. I thought the CD version sounded good to me. Now you have me anxious to hear the SACD!

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Patricio, thanks for the comments. I take it you have compared the SACD and CD layers. Have you compared the SACD and CD layers to the standard CD? Just curious. I have the standard CD and am very impressed with the sound quality. The music, of course, is excellent.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith, I don't have the orig. CD but the CD layer on the SACD vs. the SACD layer sounds bright, harsh and a bit shrill by comparison. The SACD is very smooth. It sounds good like the CD I've heard several times on other systems until you compare it to the SACD directly. I did not care for the multi-channel SACD layer. I thought they put a drop too much in the rear (strings, percussion, etc.) for my taste. I like New Favorite by Union Station where they use the other channels but it seems to enhance what is up front and you don't notice it as a separate source.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, thanks for the comments. I have noticed a touch of edge to Krall's vocals on The Look of Love CD (as well as Love Scenes and When I Look In Your Eyes), so I would welcome that smoothing out that you mentioned.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

FYI -- DVD Empire is selling this SACD at the same price as the redbook CD. I might just have to get this one.

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I ordered it on Elusive disc. I might have paid a little more, but I appreciate their great selection and am willing to reward them for it with my business. I will give you my review when it arrives.

8. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

I havn't really listened to the CD layer of the SACD...I was comparing it to the original CD. The SACD version is indeed smoother than the original where even loud passages are not harsh but have the dynamic range where it is still a joy to listen. The CD version definitely has a PCM sound to it where this is well rounded. It is mixed (in multichannel) where the voice is predominately in the front left and right channels with the center used as an ambient channel. It gives it a seemingly large sound stage which sounds full and rounded. I have listened to it about 4 times now and have yet to tire of both enjoying her music as well as the quality of the recording.

9. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Patricio said:

11. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

While I think this is certainly reference quality as far as sound is concerned, does anyone feel like I do in the fact that the surround channels are mixed a little too agressively? I enjoy ambiant sound from the rear channels, maybe overemphasized during needed moments, but the rear channels on this release are very active...to the point that they don't accentuate the music per se, but actually draw attention to themselves, which is what they shouldn't do IMO.

I'm interested to see how many think the way I do in this regard or who out there is pleased with the surround mix on this one.

Off topic, I didn't own this one prior to the SACD release but I do own the redbook version of "When I Look In Your Eyes". They are vastly different in style and I have to say I much prefer the tempo and styling of "When I Look In Your Eyes" over "The Look of Love"

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evan said:

13. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

Just received my copy the other day and have had a chance to listen on several occasions. WOW is the only word that comes to mind. This is a top notch recording in every way. The mix is outstanding across the front with her voice spread out on all 3 channels with a little less prominence in the center. On a few tracks the surrounds are a little agressive for my tastes as well but not every song is mixed that way. I am extremely happy with this disc and it is by far my new reference recording in any format. Now I can't wait for her next SACD release at the end of the month.

14. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

I found this SACD at Tower Records last week. It took a couple of visits before it showed up.

I was not a really big fan of this CD but the SACD is very very good. Miss Krall's voice has never sounded better!

The surround version does have over aggressive rear channels for my taste. But I just turn down the volume on those channels and it firms up the image and sounds great. I do believe I notice that surround mixes seem to take away from the detail of the music. All of the instruments blend into together and sort of homogenizes the sound. Any one else notice this? On the stereo track the guitar sounds singular with great detail but not in the surround track. Maybe I need to listen closer to it again. It is quite enveloping, engaging etc.

The engineers will get surround SACDs right soon and they will sound sublime, IMHO. This recording was not recording in surround sound right?

How do they make a surround version out of a stereo recording?

15. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit