What's new

Diana Krall: Christmas Songs... is there a Dualdisc? (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I saw her last album was put out on a dualdisc. It wasn't my favorite of hers but it grew on me. I noticed a new Christmas album online and was wondering if anyone has seen the Dualdisc as well? Thanks for the help.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If there is, Josh, I'll scream! I bought this disc on release day after checking around and finding nothing about either: 1.) exclusive bonus tracks at any particular vendor, or 2.) a DualDisc release.

I got burned on her last CD, Girl in the Other Room, when I saw the DualDisc release after I had already purchased the CD-only release. I've also gotten burned on Diana's "exclusive track" deals with Target.

I started THIS THREAD on the subject a few weeks ago...because its pissing me off that I have to educate myself before a simple CD purchase...and might not even be able to gather all the info I need before making the purchase. For example, I suppose its always still possible that a DualDisc release of her Christmas CD may be forthcoming.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing that since it's a Christmas release they would've released it the same time since the buying window isn't as large as a regular album... I know how you feel about getting burned with some albums. I did wait a bit for "The Girl in the Other Room" because of the mixed reviews and then I found the Dualdisc for the same price.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Lucky you! I now own two copies (three really, if you count the DualDisc as two :D ) of The Girl In the Other Room. I have purchased the DVD-A versions of a couple of other Krall albums..but that was way after the original CD releases. I'm just wary now of these current releases and if I'm missing something that's being released at the same time with (or near the same time) with bonus content somewhere else).

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Also another song I found was on a Christmas LP, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," where there was a cover of the Beatles "And I Love Her(Him.)" Very slow and smooth. I believe that EP was an import.

PS, I checked amazon.com and Best Buy and didn't find a Dualdisc, so I don't think it's out yet, so we'll see if it's coming.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Josh: That's interesting. I have an EP released in 1999 called Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. But it was definitely released in the US as a promotion with a calendar that fit inside a CD case. The EP has three tracks on it:

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Christmas Time is Here
Jingle Bells

It was released by Impulse/GRP records and has a sku# 1110531112

Is your EP the same but with the Beatle cover?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Never mind. Found the import EP HERE on Amazon.com . It's got the same cover as mine:

but three extra songs that are not Christmas-related.

And I Love Him
Dreamsville
Soldier in the Rain

One Amazon reviewer had this to say:

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yes Mike, it's the same one. I just had it on the iPod and hadn't looked at it in ages, so I was recalling from memory. I found mine used a couple of years ago.

Since this is a thread about Diana's "Christmas Songs" album, what do you all think of it? It is ok I guess, but I was hoping for a bit more. I sorta feel like she's phoning it in a bit. A little more sustaining of notes instead of talk-singing would be nicer on the slower stuff, IMO.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Josh: I'm more of a fan of her jazz arrangements than her syrupy string arrangements (see Johnny Mandel)...but all-in-all I give it high marks.

She hasn't yet (in my mind) equalled her 1996 Nat Cole tribute (All For You). That CD kicked a$$ and took no prisoners!

Diana can do very little wrong as far as I'm concerned...so this Christmas CD is getting heavy rotation this Christmas season at my house and I'm sure many seasons to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks