Diamond commercials vs. love

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

With the new wave of diamond commercials this holiday season it makes me ponder the question, "Are women really that superficial that a shiny rock would impact their emotional relationship with their husband that much?"

For example the commercial where the man is standing with his wife in a court yard and he yells out "I love this woman!"
    It embarrasses her but then he whips out the shiny rocks and WHAMO! She melts into a soft spoken rant of "I love this man I love this man, blah blah blah."

Did she not love him before? Not as much? It took a diamond from him to symbolize her love for him?
    Diamonds aren't even that rare. Their value is subjective IMHO. Couldn't a emerald symbolize such love just as well? A ruby?

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Not even gonna touch this one...

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I certainly hope so. In my case the gift is a rather expensive gold herringbone for a woman and I certainly hope it impacts our emotional relationship.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Well, there's a large argument to be made for DeBeers completely fabricating the notion of a diamond as something of value. They rigorously regulate the distribution of diamonds in the world to create an artifical demand for them. Do a search on Google and you'll turn up tons of stuff.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

hehe Debeers is a sham, talk about a monopoly, they make microsoft look like a mom and pop ice cream stand [​IMG]

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    These days, I can't look at a diamond without seeing the color red in it -- as in "blood diamonds".

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

In a twist on this concept, FutureShop is running ads this year where a woman tries to elicit an "I love you" from her partner, only to have him freeze up everytime...that is until he unwraps his widescreen plasma set which earns a heartfelt "I love you", which she graciously and gushingly accepts...
    I think I like this concept better than a frikin rock. [​IMG]
    Anyway, if any woman I was involved with was that superficial, I think they would be history in short order.

8. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

No doubt Jeff!

If I wanted to see diamonds I could watch Diamonds are Forever on the big brand new 16x9 HDTV!!!!

9. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I've gotten into this argument with ex-girlfriends on a few occasions. I actually had one of them tell me that she would choose a larger ring over a downpayment on a house. [​IMG]
    Or am I just too practical?

10. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Now THAT David is what I'm talkin' about!

I just don't understand the appeal of a diamond I guess.
    Again, why a diamond? Why not a ruby, etc.?

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

David, this is the kind of thing I would not tolerate. If I were about to enter into a lifetime partnership with someone, I would expect that long term goals would be more important than a decoration. Couples face enough financial challenges without going into debt over a stupid ring.
    Why a diamond? MARKETING! [​IMG]

12. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I'm with 'ya Blu. Kinda funny that a diamond commercial try to mold us into their concept of what constitutes true love. In their attempt to sell more diamonds, their commercials also foster shallowness and superficiality IMO. And don't get me started on the Lexus "December To Remember" commercials.

13. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

damn, so does that mean I'm not going to get a new audi S4 for college graduation? [​IMG]

15. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

16. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I believe the equation is something like:
    Bigger = Better = More Money Spent = More Love = More Sex
    It's just like any other advertising gimmick. Associate the product with something pleasurable. Diamonds are usually purchased by a man for a woman, how do we appeal to the male ? Let's see here, can't eat 'em so that lets out the stomach. Let's appeal to the male's other basic instinct to satisfy his need to mate. Make him believe that the equation stated above will work with the woman in his life.
    Buy her a big rock and she will repay you with her favors.
    Problem with that is that it makes women seem like gold-diggers.
    Net of it is just those wonderful advertising folks trying to manipulate how you spend your money.

17. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I hate those commercials. Thankfully I honestly dont think it accuratley portrays any of women I know. I see that woman's reactions and I think shallow, money-grubbing, whore. If my fiance would have been that type of person, she wouldnt be my wife now. Those commercials should be embarassing to real women everywhere.

18. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

I just about tossed my tv out the window yesterday when I was flipping between multiple NFL Sunday Ticket games and probably saw 20 or 30 of those friggin' commercials. I changed channels each and every time. Sometimes they were on 3 channels at once ! Local jewelers have been working overtime as well.

Also, a dude here at work who pretty much conducts his relationships over the phone for everyone to hear once got into an argument w/ his then-fiancee (who I think dumped him for her newly-released ex-con ex-bf) about how she thought the ring he bought her was too small. I don't think it was an argument, actually, I think it was more him acquiescing to her, admitting that he's less of a man because he didn't get her a bigger ring. All I could think of at that point was that whacked Sopranos character -- Big Pu**y.

19. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I hate those ads too. I've noticed it tends to make women feel less important if they aren't given a large diamond and makes men think they are less worthy if they cannot afford one.
    My engagement and wedding rings have diamonds, yes. However, I would have been happy with much smaller ones or none at all. In fact, my e-ring's diamond is a bit larger than I find practical, especially since it's high mounted.
    I would have had no problem putting that money towards a new vehicle or downpayment on a house. Those, IMHO, are much better investments. My mother, interestingly enough, did not want any engagement ring at all. With the money my father would have spent, they took a wonderful 6 week trip around Europe. My husband is somewhat of a traditionalist, though. [​IMG]

20. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul