Dialogue in Phantom Menace too soft?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hong Tang, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Hong Tang

Hong Tang Auditioning

Has anybody noticed that the dialogue in Phantom Menace coming from the center speaker is too soft compared to the sound effect from the front and surround speakers?

I have a Marantz 680 and have to go to the setup menu and crank up the center channel to +6 db leaving the others at 0db before I could hear the dialogue without going deaf from the sound effect during the pod race.

Any comments or advice?

2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Hong, I have this disc and have not had any probs with the center level although the overall level of the disc is a bit lower than most other DVDs. Im assuming you system has been calibrated with a test DVD and an SPL meter?

Harry.

3. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Hong, just had an idea - use the THX optimiser, it is on the setup/language menu of the TPM dvd, run the test signal sequence and see if the center level is different from the others. There is a note on the disc that says this test is not intended for setting speaker levels but I have found the results on the front and center to be pretty close to the 'Ultimate DVD Platinum' that I used to calibrate my system.

Harry.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The level of the dvd is recorded very low. I personally find the dialog and music to be way too low. In reading a post by Bjoern Ray here on the HTF, he found that the dvd was about 7db lower on average than the laserdisc. You can do a search on his name to find all the posts relating to this topic.

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The overall level is low, but if you've calibrated with Avia or VE and an SPL meter, dialogue should blend nicely with the rest of the mix. SW:TPM is definitely a good indicator of weak center channel response though. I've had several people complain about it, but after I calibrated their speakers, no more complaints. It's just one of those mixes that isn't tolerant of level differences because there's so much going on in each speaker.

6. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    My guess is your sub is way to hot. As long as you have voice matching mains and center you shouldn't have problems. Before I got properly calibrated I was running my sub super hot and therefore had to turn the overall volume down to keep from getting blown away by the sub. By doing this I could barely hear the center with all the dialogue. I was wondering why I couldn't hear the dialogue well with every movie??? After PROPERLY calibrating my system I can hear everything now. I find that I need to turn the overall volume higher than I used to but I brought the sub way down when I calibrated so now I don't get blown away by the sub and I get a great mix of sound effects and on-screen dialogue. Double-check your calibration.

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yes the overal level is low but the dialog is exeptional in terms of inteligibility and spatial cohesivness.

On a calibrated system the dialog never drowns out by the effects,or the music,even that this is a very dynamic soundtrack.