Dialogue Distortion?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Banta, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Banta

Banta Auditioning

Hi there,

I have a Toshiba SD-3800 DVD player with a Harmon Kardon AVR230 powering a pair of Polk Audio Rti10 speakers. I hear audible distortion on DVD's, but only on loud dialogue like shouting etc.. I am only running in stereo, so I don't think it's an amp/speaker problem, due to the fact that there is never any distortion of music/fx on DVD's. Would anyone know what might be causing this dialogue distortion? Are my speakers just picking up errors that wouldn't be heard through small/bad speakers?

Thanks very much!
    Banta

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I get distorted sound on my CDs played thru my DVD player using the analog connections when the DVD analog outputs are connected to both my TV and Recvr at the same time AND my Directv STB is turned on. So my question is are you splitting the analog outs on the DVD player and running them to another source b/c this could be your problem. I solved my problem by disconnecting the analog audio from the TV and only having it hooked up to the recvr (I have a SACD, DVD-A so I need the analog connections to the recvr).

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Banta I have that same prob with my center channel. Its only with dialog. It happens often with Gimlee on (LOTR). Unfortunately Im not sure why. Do you watch LOTR, if so have you also noticed this?

4. John S

John S Producer

Do you rap real hard and not notice it there??? Does decreasing the volume make it not happen? Or is it distorted even at low volume?

What level is your center running on your AVR? Your know calibration wise?

5. Banta

Banta Auditioning

Hi All,

First things first, thanks for responding so quickly!

Dean-S: My DVD player is going Coax digital to the reciever. It's the only DVD audio connection. There is no audio out to my TV from the reciever and I don't have a dish.

Ryan JE: I haven't noticed it on LOTR, but I will check and get back to you.

John S: I have no center speaker. I just have the pair of Rti 10's as mains and monitor everything in stereo. The distortion is equally audible at all volume levels which leads me to think it's the source or perhaps the input on the reciever, since CD's can be cranked up with no distortion. I'll play some Rap to double check though... good excuse for some K-OS. [​IMG]

Banta

6. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, just to humor me, since you are two channel only. Hook up the analog stereo RCA connections from the DVD player to the Reciever too.

7. Banta

Banta Auditioning

I just checked and the distortion is present in both the analog and digital signals. It may be slightly less in the analog, but that could be a quality/resolution factor in the types of the two signals.

I did listen to some Rap on CD at a high volume and found no distortion present.

Thanks again,
    Banta

8. John S

John S Producer

I am out of ideas... I can say, I am not a fan of those particular speakers for dialog is about all.

9. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Banta try the scene Riders of Rohan when Gimlee is surrounded by horses. I notice it here. For some reason its only certain voices. I think its only mens voices. Do you get it from dvd only??

10. Gabriela Mendez

Gabriela Mendez Stunt Coordinator

Same here on my JBL EC35. It happens on certain movies, I thought that maybe the tweeter was bad or something but is not consistant with other movies, dvd-a & SACD surround. Also, it is very obvious in dplii with 2.0 or mono dvd's like mickey b&W / donald disney treasure shorts.

11. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Maybe the centers cant handle the output.

12. Banta

Banta Auditioning

Like I mentioned above, I'm only running 2 channel stereo. I'm totally at a loss. I spend lots of time around pro audio equipment (musician) and it's sounding like the signal is clipping somewhere in the chain. The problem is that I can't change the output levels on my DVD player to check if that's the source of the problem. I'll try to find another player to A/B with and see if there's any difference.

Thanks for all your help so far!

13. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Oh yea sorry.