What's new

Dialog not clear enough through my Onkyo TX-NR717 (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
The fix here my be quite simple, but I'm stumped. I have this very nice Onkyo TX-NR717, which I really like. However, it seems like the dialog does not come through as clearly as it did with my old Integra DTR 5.2. Even with the volume turned up quite high, it is difficult to hear all the dialog clearly. This seems especially true with DVDs and Blu-rays, but DVR and streaming media could also use a dialog boost. I'm sure it's something in the setup of my receiver.

FYI--I set up my sound using the procedure in the Onkyo manual using the special microphone that came with the receiver.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Bruce

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you set the mic on a tripod at ear height, or on the seat cushions?(on the cushion on the seat back, counts as "on the seat cushions")

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
schan1269,

I had the mic on a tripod on the couches at ear height. Perhaps I should do it again.

Bruce

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you end up not liking Aud's setting, do your own.You can easily set distance on your own. You can set crossovers on your own. The only part tricky/time consuming is setting the levels. That, you'll need an SPL meter and sweep tracks.Audiocheck.net

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
I looked at the settings for my speakers and the fronts were at +4.5, while the center was at -0.5. I bumped up the center to +2.5 or 3.0. That helped a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks