Dialing in system speaker levels for non DD,DTS, just *DPL* system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Suggestions needed.
    Can someone explain how to do this PROPERLY or point to a site or archive (searched here and can't seem to locate anything involving) that explains the proper way to do this for a:::::
    =========>
    Doby Pro Logic system only!!! He is looking into a SILVER AFFORDABLE ~ DD, DTS processor as I post.
    =========>
    Can you use parts of Avia, VE, or S&V for this, ~{DPL calibration}~ or is it all the Receivers internal test tones and spl meter. Any and all information dealing with calibrating a ~{DPL}~ only at this time system would be greatly apreaciated.
    Probley not nessesary to know but will post this info anyway...
    4 ~ Polk Bookshelfs 45hz~20khz +or-2db
    Center ~ Polk voice matched to same bookie line Dual 5-1/2 tweetet ~ MTM 70-20khz +or-1db
    Subs ~ 2-1999~AR-sealed flat to 20 with useabe out put below in room. IMO-(Best AR sub I've ever heard and listened to them all, even their high end line.)-!
    Sansui's top of the line DD ready ~ DPL Receiver DD DTS Ready (overseas model Silver face) Very sharp looking unit!
    DVD- Malita (sp) that is wrote about allot here.
    Philips 52 or 56" RPTV brand new...
    Im sorry as I do not know the model #s
    of all his equipment...
    Being DD, DTS and other ES EX decodeing is what most of us here are into,
    BUT ~{DPL}~ SYSTEM SET UP is limited at best. Going to help a friend this weeked and looking for info that might help make it a BETTER AND SHORTER TIME INVOLVED visit! I have VE, Avia, waiting on S&V in mail yet, SPL meter, Stryke-vol-1 and BASS Mekanik Fequency discs. So all the basics are covered if these will be usefull in DPL calibration. DPL is something I've never even looked into as DD, DTS is what imused to dealing with, DPL im sure it's much simpler to st up and calibrate.
    Any help or links would be a great advantage for my vist to my friends this weekend. All the [​IMG] I can get on this would be most helpfull.
    Thanxs
    Geoff

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thank you Phil,

As I expected useing the Receivers test tones and working with their deley times are about it.

Thought there might be some tricks that others have discovered especially when running spl calied at lower spl volumes 70 to75db. He's not a house shaker kinda guy though he dose have the power to do it.

Guessing things ~ like running the rears a little hotter or maybe in this case, ~{DPL}~ matrixed rears a db or so softer. Of course sub to ones taste as usual. Any tricks knwon for DPL???

=========>

Are deley times much more critical in DPL for the center and rears than in DD?

Being that the material is matrixed from the two channels, correct me if im wrong here!!!

=========>

He is working on a processor for DD DTS, but finding a Silver one that is decent & afforable for lets just say, less than Joe mega buck, is tough. All his equipment is brushed silver and he would really like to find a decent pre in silver. Technics did make the 500 in Silver but it was not sold in the states. For the buck a hell of a processor, just set one up for another friend and was blown away with this thing! Best $150.00 he ever spent!!!

The many other brands in Silver that come thew Ebay/Audiogon are defently drewl material but generaly just plain out of his budget. EAD yummy....

So DPL will be his main stay for awhile.

Again thanks Phil

Geoff

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter