Dial up and wireless routing

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Stephen Orr, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Okay, here's my situation. Son going back to out of state college. Lots of debt. Looking to cut expenses. One option - drop broadband and go back to dial-up (it was either this or drop expanded cable!)

Anyway, we currently have two desktops and one laptop running XP. We have a wireless router connected to a cable modem. The two desktops are wired in and the laptop roams.

We want (well, not exactly want) to downgrade to dial-up in about a month, but I would still like to use the wireless router while my son is still here (laptop is his). Once he's at college (living in his own apt.), he'll get his own ISP. We will install a modem into my computer to share the internet. I'd like to use the router to jack my computer in as the server computer, with the other two computers piggy-backing the internet, just like our network.

Can this be done? Is what I want to do clear enough?

All help is appreciated.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Should be no problem and you seem to have a handle on the setup, but man are you gonna hate that downgrade......[​IMG]

3. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Tell me about it. We're looking into Netzero/Juno hi-speed dial up, which will cost about $15 a month, as opposed to our broadband, which is 40 a month.

I'm a school teacher, my wife is a secretary and we've got to cut expenses somehow. Sending a kid to college is expensive, even when he's getting some scholarship $!