What's new

Dial 999 is coming! (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I watched the first two episodes of Dial 999 and definitely like it. Inspector Mike Maguire is a bit of a tough guy, not inclined to take guff from the bad guys, and he adds his narration along the way. It reminds me of another 50's series that Network released, Scotland Yard, in that it is no-nonsense police work set in 1950's London. And in one of the episodes I watched William Hartnell, the first Doctor Who, appears as the ringleader of the baddies. A reasonable price for 39 episodes. So glad to have this series.
I thank you Glenn. I'm going to place my order for Dial 999 and Stagecoach West together.
I will gobble these up like a good :emoji_ramen:

Last edited:

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
Welcome Lee. When I joined HTF 11 days ago I bumped this older thread TV DVDs unavailable in Region 1. If you hadn't seen it you might want to take a look-see. There's quite a few interesting classic tv series that just might encourage you pick up a region-free player. I think the price point starts at only $100 bucks.

Thanks Neal, I'll consider getting a region free DVD player. Episodes of From A Bird's Eye View are on You Tube, so that's a good thing. You Tube doesn't have much in regards to Dial 999 but maybe some episodes will be posted as time goes along.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks Neal, I'll consider getting a region free DVD player. Episodes of From A Bird's Eye View are on You Tube, so that's a good thing. You Tube doesn't have much in regards to Dial 999 but maybe some episodes will be posted as time goes along.
My pleasure. Couple other things that has come as a surprise to me with both the LG UBK80 (which I returned) and the Panasonic DP-UB820 (which I kept) is that standard definition DVD's look considerably better than on my old workhorse, the 2009 Toshiba DR570. The DR570 which is one of a very few DVD players which has an OTA (Over The Air) tuner and is also a recorder as well. So if you have an antenna, you not only get free tv but you can record it as well!! I love this deck so much that earlier this month I bought a second "Like New" DR570 off eBay for when the day comes when the first one stops working. Also when you pop in one of those old Timeless Media or ShoutFactory DVD sets with the muddy and dark picture image, with the LG and the Panny you can adjust the brightness, the contrast, the sharpness, and the color without having to fool with your monitor settings.

I swear I'm not working on commission:) I just get excited by this gear. About 40 years ago I wrote tech reviews on this stuff.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thoroughly enjoying watching these new dvds. Overall transfer quality is very good with sharp video and good audio. No clean up was done on the video but it’s not enough of a distraction to hurt the viewing experience for me. I just finished disc one. Will start disc two this weekend.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I've grown tired of waiting for DeepDiscount.com to respond to my rather large 'other region' wish list for potential purchase directly from them here in the US. I guess they are simply not interested in striking a deal with European companies or do not see enough of a demand here in the US. Whatever. But I just noticed that Dial 999: The Complete Series is now available right here from Amazon coming from 3rd party seller MovieMars. Seems a bit pricey but nevertheless I was curious if anyone else who purchased this back in April of this year has any comments about it? Gary and Glenn were the only ones who commented after receiving this. Thanks!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I order direct from Network as Amazon UK, and other Amazon sites, won't ship to my country anymore so...... Get a good deal overall. I ordered both Dial 999 and Maigret together. I was going to order 2 x each with friend interested in a set and it doubled the 1 x each postage plus and another $40 as well. I think they have low delivery rate and over that it is a standard UK30 but I could be wrong.

Both these shows screened in my country when they were new and hadn't seen them since until now. The other two which were around then were Boyd QC, and, No Hiding Place. I think NHP is missing a number of episodes.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Jeff? Randall? What say you?

Awaiting Randall screen caps!

:popcorn:
Sorry to say I haven't as yet ordered Dial 999, but I intend to Neal! A 1958 TV cop show filmed on location in London and featuring several good ol' Canadian actors like Robert Beatty and Cec Linder and loads of familiar ITC supporting players? I'm in! But my money went to Kino-Lorber Blu-rays, Criterion and Arrow Blu-rays that were on sale for back-catalogue or were new releases in June-July. A lot of WAC back-catalogue too, and some pricy history books as well. Been eatin' beans and franks all month, ha, ha...

With Jeff's enthusiastic guidance, I have several older Network/ITC R2 DVD sets that I recently received or that are on the way...The Four Just Men, Interpol Calling and Man of the World...and a replacement copy of Espionage, which I lent out years ago to a University Professor who promptly claimed to have lost it...the same guy returned one of my highly prized books with a Coffee ring imprint on the dust jacket...an absolute Philistine with a Doctorate degree that may have as well come out of a Crackerjack box...as you know, never lend out anything that you couldn't just give as a gift...wasn't that something that ol' Benjamin Franklin once said? ha, ha...

Thanks for the info that MovieMars is carrying Dial 999 for sale on this side of the Atlantic...they're good, and that's where I'm getting several R2 sets already. I've had some damnable bad luck in trying to get Network sets from other American dealers. I do intend to send a good sized order to Network directly at some point in the near future as well, so I might get it there...trans-Atlantic mail must be back to normal by now...

But with Gary16 vouching for the quality of Dial 999, and considering Network's sterling reputation, I'd buy with confidence...oh, and anyone interested in shows of this vintage should do themselves a favor and order the new 8 disc R2 set of Stagecoach West from Renown...I posted many of my screen caps from that superb release over in the thread I started for that show...Renown/Talking Pictures is great, and I hope they have more goodies coming our way...

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Sorry to say I haven't as yet ordered Dial 999, but I intend to Neal! A 1958 TV cop show filmed on location in London and featuring several good ol' Canadian actors like Robert Beatty and Cec Linder and loads of familiar ITC supporting players? I'm in! But my money went to Kino-Lorber Blu-rays, Criterion and Arrow Blu-rays that were on sale for back-catalogue or were new releases in June-July. A lot of WAC back-catalogue too, and some pricy history books as well. Been eatin' beans and franks all month, ha, ha...

With Jeff's enthusiastic guidance, I have several older Network/ITC R2 DVD sets that I recently received or that are on the way...The Four Just Men, Interpol Calling and Man of the World...and a replacement copy of Espionage, which I lent out years ago to a University Professor who promptly claimed to have lost it...the same guy returned one of my highly prized books with a Coffee ring imprint on the dust jacket...an absolute Philistine with a Doctorate degree that may have as well come out of a Crackerjack box...as you know, never lend out anything that you couldn't just give as a gift...wasn't that something that ol' Benjamin Franklin once said? ha, ha...

Thanks for the info that MovieMars is carrying Dial 999 for sale on this side of the Atlantic...they're good, and that's where I'm getting several R2 sets already. I've had some damnable bad luck in trying to get Network sets from other American dealers. I do intend to send a good sized order to Network directly at some point in the near future as well, so I might get it there...trans-Atlantic mail must be back to normal by now...

But with Gary16 vouching for the quality of Dial 999, and considering Network's sterling reputation, I'd buy with confidence...oh, and anyone interested in shows of this vintage should do themselves a favor and order the new 8 disc R2 set of Stagecoach West from Renown...I posted many of my screen caps from that superb release over in the thread I started for that show...Renown/Talking Pictures is great, and I hope they have more goodies coming our way...
Whoops. I'm getting my series confused. I mixed up Dial 999 with Code 3. It's all those numbers and the fact that there's so many new B&W shows coming out that's confusing me. Where's that icon_e_doh gif when you need it! Keep those windows open pal what with all those beans n' franks cookin' on the stove. :blink:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I’m almost done with disc 2 and enjoying it very much. The transfers are sharp with good contrast. Sound is clear.

I can also vouch for excellent transfers on “The Four Just Men” and “Man of the World” which I’ve had for several years.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I can also vouch for excellent transfers on “The Four Just Men” and “Man of the World” which I’ve had for several years.
Thanks Gary. I didn't know a thing about “The Four Just Men” until now. Sounds interesting. I don't care for the recent "new look" of the IMDb website. Among other things the old version always stated the running times of just about every television series episode. I don't see that anymore.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Gary, I've been sampling those two vintage ITC series from Network, both featuring American leads and I am enjoying them tremendously. The crisp transfers from beautiful 35mm vault elements are a pleasure to behold.
Whoops. I'm getting my series confused. I mixed up Dial 999 with Code 3. It's all those numbers and the fact that there's so many new B&W shows coming out that's confusing me. Where's that icon_e_doh gif when you need it! Keep those windows open pal what with all those beans n' franks cookin' on the stove. :blink:
When you Dial 999, make sure you ask for a Code 3! Tell 'em to meet you down at the end of Malibu pier (as it was in 1958, before several storms shortened it). Christopher Dark, Tom Brown, Denver Pyle, Deforest Kelly, Stacy Keach Sr., William Boyett and Bing Russell will be there to meet you as a 'Code 3'...see below...
Jeff? Randall? What say you?

Awaiting Randall screen caps!

:popcorn:

Here they are, hot off my laptop! Lots of very familiar faces...one of them might put the "Touch" on you!
Code 3 1.JPG

Ep. 13, The Water Skier...
Code 3 22.JPG

Code 3 24.JPG

Code 3 25.JPG

Code 3 27.JPG

Code 3 31.JPG

Code 3 28.JPG

Code 3 30.JPG

Code 3 32.JPG

Code 3 33.JPG

Code 3 34.JPG

Code 3 36.JPG
Code 3 35.JPG

Code 3 38.JPG

Code 3 39.JPG
Code 3 40.JPG

Code 3 45.JPG

Code 3 47.JPG

Code 3 48.JPG

Code 3 50.JPG

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Gary, I've been sampling those two vintage ITC series from Network, both featuring American leads and I am enjoying them tremendously. The crisp transfers from beautiful 35mm vault elements are a pleasure to behold.

When you Dial 999, make sure you ask for a Code 3! Tell 'em to meet you down at the end of Malibu pier (as it was in 1958, before several storms shortened it). Christopher Dark, Tom Brown, Denver Pyle, Deforest Kelly, Stacy Keach Sr., William Boyett and Bing Russell will be there to meet you as a 'Code 3'...see below...
It makes perfect sense to post Code 3! screen caps here in the Dial 999 thread.

They look great Randall thank you!! My copy shall arrive this afternoon and I can't wait!

RobertMG

Premium
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It makes perfect sense to post Code 3! screen caps here in the Dial 999 thread.

View attachment 105030

They look great Randall thank you!! My copy shall arrive this afternoon and I can't wait!
Got a all region player for 25.00 on amazon then bought Renown's BFI restoration of Scrooge 1951 - going to order Dial 999 from Renown!

Tom.W

Second Unit
Thanks for that info, Gary. I've been curious about Four Just Men for many years but had no idea it had been released. I will pick it up as well as Code 3 and Dial 999 eventually.

Here they are, hot off my laptop! Lots of very familiar faces...one of them might put the "Touch" on you!

Yes, very familiar faces, Randall! Beautiful transfers of Connors, Robert Horton, and Nancy Hadley, et al. I've a fan of Hadley since seeing her powerful performance in the One Step Beyond episode The Captain's Guests with a scary equally effective Robert Webber.

Tom.W

Second Unit
I don't care for the recent "new look" of the IMDb website. Among other things the old version always stated the running times of just about every television series episode. I don't see that anymore.

I agree, Neal. Under the old format, the actor credits were easily viewable on one screen. Now we have to scroll to the right to see more than a few. I prefer the old version with less formatting and more information readily accessible.

RobertMG

Premium
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Got a all region player for 25.00 on amazon then bought Renown's BFI restoration of Scrooge 1951 - going to order Dial 999 from Renown!
Here is the one I bought! Now under 21.00!

LONPOO Basic DVD Player for TV, All Region Free DVD CD Player for Home with AV Output (NO HDMI Port), Built-in PAL/NTSC, Supports USB, Remote Control​

On Amazon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bytor104
Recent bookmarks