Diagonal port arrangement - cool idea

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vince Bray, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Ok, they've probably patented it but has anyone noticed the new Klipsch sub with the port diagonally in the box? It's the most obvious cheat to get lots of length without bending the port, can't believe I never thought of it. They run the port from one corner (more or less) to the other corner. It's amazing how much length you can get that way, for example a one cube box has a maximum diagonal of 2 feet, and in general for a cube the maximum diagonal is two times the side. A 'rectangular' box wouldn't yield quite as much benefit, but still some, and sometimes a modeled design comes up just 6" short of where you want to be...

This would probably work best for large(ish) cabinets where the driver motor didn't interfere with the port location. It would require some creative cabinet work at the exit, but might be worth it in terms of not having the cost of PRs.

Interesting, anyway.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Pinnacle has done this for years. They call it a "Diaduct" port.

3. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

I first saw them in an early '60s Jensen design, long before T/S did their work, though if you compare the Qo design format to T/S you see the same basic concept.

Cutting the vent at an angle is beneficial also as it acts very similar to flaring the ends, reducing somewhat the 1/4WL resonant effects of a long vent, 'killing two birds with one stone'. [​IMG]

GM

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Boy, just when you think you've found something new and innovative you find out it was done 40+ years ago. Maybe it's time to close the patent office after all. [​IMG]

5. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

WRT audio I sometimes wonder. As the audio inventor Tom Danley complains, "the ancients are stealing all my ideas!".

GM