What's new

Di-poles - are they worth it? (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I was wondering about getting new di-pole tower speakers. Do they make that much of a difference. Are there any decent ones in the $1000.00 CAN range?

John Royster

Screenwriter
Welcome to HTF!

Tough question to answer really. Di-poles have a different sound. If you like that sound, then they are worth it.

Definitive Technolgy are speakers that come to mind in that price range.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
How about bi-poles? Would this be the way to bo for someone who listens 50/50 HT and music off a Marantz receiver?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bipoles and dipoles are essentially the same thing, just that one is wired 180 degrees out of phase.

Bi/dipole vs monopole is really a personal preference. I prefer monopole surrounds for music, and I listen to about 75% music. Of that 75% music, most of it is 2ch, so the surrounds are not used. I hate the artificial sound of most DSPs for music.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I hear that you Canadians can get some deals on domestic lines. Mirage makes a wide variety of bipolar loudspeakers, pretty darn good too.

-rob

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Dipoles for fronts? No. Dipoles are designed to give a difuse sound, which is good for surround effects, but not for your main channels. Bipoles would work for fronts, but I don't think it would be worth it. Just get a nice monopole tower and you will be just fine.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Sorry, but I have to disagree Brian, bipoles really do add to the HT experience imo.

Doug, truthfully, you're just going to have to go listen to them. I auditioned a lot of speakers including monopoles and dipoles (Martin Logans) for fronts but I found that I distinctively preferred the bipolar sound because of the tremendous feeling of depth they presented. I use my system nearly exclusively for HT with occasional music listening and I love them for that too but for HT bipoles really added to the experience.

What I'm telling you is what everyone else is going to tell you-- go listen. Your fronts will be the foundation for everything else so just be sure that whatever brand you buy that there's a complimentary center channel to go with it and be sure you're happy with the whole setup. For surrounds some people like dipoles, some like directs, and there are bipoles which are like a combination of both. No matter what, take your favorite music and DVDs and go audition. Spend as much time as you like and when you've narrowed it down to a few then come back and ask specific questions about the models you like. There are lots of terrific speakers to suit every taste so try a bunch.

Good luck and welcome to HTF!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks