Di-Pole vs Bi-Pole

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy_B, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I have my rear surround speakers setup to the right and left of my sitting position. They are spread slightly wider and higher than the front speakers.

The speakers have a switch on them which allows them to be either di-pole or bi-pole.

The description in the speaker manual is ambiguous at best.

Which setting should I use and when?

Thanx...

Andy

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well, first you have to realize that the little switch is a bit of a "gimmick", so dont get too worked up over setting it one way or another.
    My advice would be to pop in a favorite movie and with rear-effects playing, have a friend flip the switch back and forth and pick the setting that sounds best.
    If you want to get into the theory, read on.
    A Dipole speaker fires along a wall, not at the listener. The listener only hears the reflected sounds. The 2 drivers are also wired out-of-phase with the theory that this will help "hide" the position of the speaker.
    (In Phase: both drivers push out at the same time, and pull in at the same time.
    Out of Phase: One driver pushes out while the other driver pulls in.)
    Typically, the little switch simply changes the phase of one of the drivers to be in/out of phase.
    A Bipolar speaker is mounted differently. It has one driver fireing AT the listener, and the other directly behind to reflect off of a rear wall. The back-echo sound can fool your ears that the speaker is several feet farther away than it really is.
    So do you see the difference? They should be mounted differently and they have different intents.
    Hope this helps.

3. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

And my big question on this issue is... would one be significantly better than the other in a room where there is only a wall on one side, but the other is open to another room?

I'm seriously thinking of going bipole or dipole, as I am occasionally distracted during movies by the directionality of my surrounds, but can't quite grasp what would be likely to work best in my room.

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I agree that experimentation is really the only way to decide. Also, ideally you want to choose rear speakers which have matching drivers or which have a similar sonic signature to the other speakers in your HT setup, although timbre matching is probably less critical for the rear soundstage than the front soundstage.

5. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor