What's new

Dexter Season 8 (3 Viewers)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Aaron Silverman said:
Deb's death felt very contrived, and I'm not sure I buy Dexter abandoning Harrison and Hannah in the end. But oh well. I'll just look at that last episode as one of an infinite number of potential universes. :) I'm OK with Dexter's transformation from pure sociopath into more of a "human." It's an interesting character arc.

FWIW, my favorite storylines (after the Ice Truck and Doakes/ Lila) were Lumen and Ray Stevenson (whatever his character was called).
I'm hoping they pull a Dallas, the writers have had a break, they rested, i'm sure they can write something better, now give us another season, Dexter wakes up and the entire 8th season ends up being a dream and we get a final series worthy of the show.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
i'm sure they can write something better
Based on the last three seasons, I don't have a lot of hope that they can write something better. That awful 'it is all in his head' twist that you could see from over the horizon in season six was a sure sign that the show's writers were running on empty. Ray Stevenson, and to a lesser extent Yvonne Strahovski were about the only redeeming qualities of those last three seasons. I can't believe I watched them, but I guess I kept hoping the show would turn around.

- Walter.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm approaching the end of season two. I was picturing six more great seasons, but coincidentally read last night that the three Scott Buck-run season are much maligned (was reading about Tremors 4 and recognized Buck's name). Is there a point where this show becomes a pain to watch? Is there anything redeeming towards the end?

No spoilers, please.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm approaching the end of season two. I was picturing six more great seasons, but coincidentally read last night that the three Scott Buck-run season are much maligned (was reading about Tremors 4 and recognized Buck's name). Is there a point where this show becomes a pain to watch? Is there anything redeeming towards the end?

No spoilers, please.
If I could do it all over again I would bail after season 4 and then just read about how the series ends.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
IMHO, Seasons 5-7 weren't too bad, but definitely a dip in quality. I'd say the last few episodes of Season 7 and then all of 8 were pretty god awful.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is it worth it for Yvonne Strahovski? Loved her on Chuck. If she happened to be as free with her clothing as Lila.... :)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I remember enjoying her character in season 7 but not so much in season 8. My memory is starting to get fuzzy (crazy that it's been 4 years already since it ended) so I can't think of too many light details without giving some of the basic major spoilers. I'd say just go ahead and finish the series and judge for yourself.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I kind of have to do that to learn characters' fates unless it just gets too painful to continue. I was really hoping this was an eight season slam dunk.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Guys!

Been hearing about DEXTER for years and avoided watching it for one reason or another, that is until I watched the entire SIX FEET UNDER series and became more appreciative of Michael C. Hall.

So, I am toward the end of Season Two and I must say, watching this show seems like a struggle for me. My brother, also watching the show, gave up at the end of Season One.

The problem? It seems very milk toast. I also find it formulaic where there is always a pending danger of "discovery" to what Dexter is up to, but every time you think they nailed him, something happens to bypass that outcome...

...and given that this series is several seasons long, I can see how it would just continue to plod along with Dexter getting away with what he's doing without consequences for the entire show run, just to keep the show running.

Are there elements to this show in the upcoming seasons that make this worth continuing to watch?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the first five seasons myself, but it sounds like your mileage is varying. :)

In terms of upcoming elements that might warrant sticking around it could depend upon how much you enjoy the primary guest cast stars for season three (Jimmy Smits), four (John Lithgow) and five (Julia Stiles). The basic dynamic of the show (Dexter hiding in plain sight) remains, so if you are struggling with the series in season two then I can't really recommend continuing.

Perhaps a more casual approach to the show with an occasional viewing vs. a more committed approach? Also, it might depend upon whether you have other programming that you wish to watch that has been on hold while you watch Dexter? One of the nice things about today's streaming environment is that there are plenty of choices. Maybe move on.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Are there elements to this show in the upcoming seasons that make this worth continuing to watch?
I've seen the episodes once so I'm no authority but I'd say that if you're not enjoying the first season, quit now. My memory is that the season with John Lithgow (S4?) was pretty damn good though. If you aren't into it now, maybe just skip to the Lithgow episodes and see if they grab your interest?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks