What's new

Dexter season 7 (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
It was an average season opener. After Dexter was trying to cover his tracks with Deb, I didn't think They were going to have Deb find out the truth so soon this season. Thought they would drag it out a bit. Also, with other shows I watch and it being years ago, Does anyone know that Doakes is dead? Interesting they are getting him back into the story.
Does Maria LaGuerta think Doakes is alive?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
He was blown to bits.

The slide obviously links Dexter.

I have no idea where the russian mafia girl runner death comes into this, but hmm.

I thought their were some good zingers "Ghost in a G-String", and the entire sequence in the bar about who called in a union rep :)

I thought it was an above average start.. I think we've got a couple different stories this year; whether or not this is the year that Deb turns on Dexter and begins chasing him.. that's when we know we're heading toward the finale. That's the thing, this is a show that convinces me that last season, when Dexter is on the run, waiting to be caught, could be sensational. I'm just hoping we're racing toward it now.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
mattCR said:
He was blown to bits.
The slide obviously links Dexter.
I have no idea where the russian mafia girl runner death comes into this, but hmm.
I thought their were some good zingers "Ghost in a G-String", and the entire sequence in the bar about who called in a union rep :)
I thought it was an above average start.. I think we've got a couple different stories this year; whether or not this is the year that Deb turns on Dexter and begins chasing him.. that's when we know we're heading toward the finale.   That's the thing, this is a show that convinces me that last season, when Dexter is on the run, waiting to be caught, could be sensational.   I'm just hoping we're racing toward it now.
I remember Doakes blowing up, but did Dexter cover it up by saying he left town.
I'm asking if Maria is thinking that Doakes is alive.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
No - Doakes was ID'd when they found the body. That was how the closed the BHB case. Now Deb & Laguerta can put it together that perhaps Doakes wasn't the BHB after all.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
While it was kind of ridiculous how quickly Deb pieced it all together, I'm glad they did it quickly. After last season's debacle I was ready to bail on the show, but Deb catching Dexter in the finale piqued my interest in where season 7 would go. So I was extremely disappointed when it seemed Dexter talked his way out of it in the first 5 minutes. When he came home to Deb I was sure we would see Dexter waking up from a dream.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Laguerta always knew that it wasn't Doakes. If you remember, she had a folder full of stakeout logs that she brought to Lundy that he couldn't use as evidence because she had been in contact with Doakes without reporting it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm still wondering how the Dexter wannabe (babysitter's "boyfriend") figures in on all of this (he's choking off Dexter's financial resources in this episode).

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Doakes is definitely dead. The link is that the police found Dexter's box of slides in Doakes's car when Doakes was in South or Central America seeing one of his covert ops partners. Finding the box of slides was what pointed to Doakes as the Bay Harbor Butcher. LaGuerta was always skeptical of it and only accepted when faced with what appeared to be overwhelming evidence, but there were plenty of things that didn't add up for her. She and Doakes also used to be partners and lovers so she is naturally inclined to believe in him. Finding the slide, a very unique piece of evidence, at a fresh kill site calls into question linking the slides to Doakes.
I was also a little bothered by how quickly Deb accepted Dexter's explanation, especially that she didn't originally ask him about the lab apron. From what we know about her bulldog nature as a detective, I think they worked it out very plausibly. As for the lab intern/Jamie's boyfriend, he appears to be an additional hurdle for Dexter that is working below the radar at the moment. His work will complicate things for Dexter while Dexter is focusing on the issues with Deb. In addition to closing his bank accounts (which strains believability even for a computer genius) he planted the mannequin hand from the Ice Truck Killer in Dexter's apartment and it was lying very prominently on the table in front of Deb.
I've read maybe 5 of the books and have always preferred the show to the books. There are a number of key character traits that are different across several of the key characters, as well as much deeper storylines in the show. However, [book spoiler]
in the books, Deb is aware that Dexter is a killer. It's not as plain to her as in the show where she witnessed a killing, but she's known since before the ITK case. She just always had a feeling that there was something wrong with Dexter and turned a somewhat blind eye to it. She would ask him for advice on cases where she needed a killer's insight and ignore clues that pointed to Dexter. While this idea is fresh to the tv show, the books have laid out plenty of material where Deb knows what Dexter is that the show can follow.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Charlie Campisi /t/324123/dexter-season-7#post_3983937
In addition to closing his bank accounts (which strains believability even for a computer genius)

It's not even difficult, even for a script kiddie. I typed up an explanation of how, but then decided that'd be irresponsible. So I'm just going to leave it at, "Not even difficult." Remember, he had access to Dexter's computer.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So if Dexter really wanted to get rid of creepy intern, why didn't he just conveniently have Jamie see the video of him with the prostitute?

Not sure how I feel about Deb the serial killer sitter. I like where the season is headed but Deb's reaction to the whole thing seems contrived.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
ScottH said:
Not sure how I feel about Deb the serial killer sitter.  I like where the season is headed but Deb's reaction to the whole thing seems contrived.
That's pretty much my thoughts exactly. I hope they get past this "Odd Couple" stage fast.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Also, I generally have no problem suspending disbelief in a lot of shows, but uh, what happened to Harrison during this whole arrangement? I mean, that girl is a babysitter, not a foster parent, but they talk about him 'visiting' Harrison as if he doesn't have custody. If they were going to completely abandon that storyline, like they appear to be this season, just send him off to his grandparents with Cody and Astor.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I'm guessing the writers don't have young kids - or they think the main Dexter audience doesn't! It's like a recent ep of Boardwalk Empire, when the baby was crying in its cot. The "mother" goes over to it and says "shush" and the baby immediately goes back to sleep. If only that worked irl. ;)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The problem is they have to have Harrison around because of the sitter's boyfriend/intern. They really should have just had Deb stay at Dexter's place, especially since he has a double sized condo.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
How is Dexter able to afford 2 condos and a beyond-full-time nanny? She also mentioned to her boyfriend that Dexter is good to her, which I am assuming means he pays her well. How much do forensics techs make?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Marc_Sulinski /t/324123/dexter-season-7#post_3986700
How is Dexter able to afford 2 condos and a beyond-full-time nanny? She also mentioned to her boyfriend that Dexter is good to her, which I am assuming means he pays her well. How much do forensics techs make?

How do you figure he affords 2 condos? He had the house that he and his wife (Rita) bought earlier, and he gave his apartment to Deb. Then, after Rita died, he collected the life insurance, sold the house, and moved back into the apartment with Deb. He has the apartment and the boat. Where is a second condo unless I've missed it?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Last year they established that he bought the unit next to his in the apartment complex, and made them into one, I believe.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
^^ Yes. Half of the double-condo is Harrison's side, and the other half is Dexter's. I don't really get the necessity of that whole thing. But the intern, when he appeared in Dexter's kitchen, made a comment about being allowed in "Dexter's side" of the apartment.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
mattCR said:
How do you figure he affords 2 condos?   He had the house that he and his wife (Rita) bought earlier, and he gave his apartment to Deb.   Then, after Rita died, he collected the life insurance, sold the house, and moved back into the apartment with Deb.  He has the apartment and the boat.   Where is a second condo unless I've missed it?
Life insurance might explain it. Did the show ever mention that Rita had life insurance?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks