What's new

Dexter Season 5 (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottH
Like Dexter injecting the killer's neck, but not holding on to him? I bet if you look back at every time he did that, he NEVER let go of the person. Also, no one finds the syringe? That's a little ridiculous.

This was just plain sloppy planning for Dexter to fall victim like that. I mean, what the hell?! Broad daylight, the dude was holding a tranq gun, didn't grab the fucker . . . that's not the Dex I know. I'm gonna assume it's the loss of the kids and Rita that still have him seriously off his game.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by SWFF

Quote:

This was just plain sloppy planning for Dexter to fall victim like that. I mean, what the hell?! Broad daylight, the dude was holding a tranq gun, didn't grab the fucker . . . that's not the Dex I know. I'm gonna assume it's the loss of the kids and Rita that still have him seriously off his game.

That's exactly what Harry said. He was being sloppy and careless but Dexter didn't care. He needed his 'fix'.

EDIT: Thinking about it, killing the guy was a big risk. They were both taken to the hospital, now one is dead and will be reported as missing by his bosses. He might be recognized by the hospital staff, and Dexter as well for being with him. If the girl then shows up as escaping a serial killer (she won't be able to just go home, shower, and get on with her life) everything will get put together and even more focus gets put on Dexter.

But this wouldn't be the first time the suspected course of events turns out to be forgotten about. Such as the guy Dex killed in the bathroom. If that story was going to be pursued it would have by now.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
We are working toward either a very strange, or very brilliant season. I haven't decided yet. Did like Matsuka's ink. Loved Deb coming to terms with her fuck-buddy, as she put it.

I've missed Deb's mouth some this season, and hearing it leap back to her was good stuff.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Masuka's re-enacting of the crime scene is hilarious. Nice to see him back to his old, perverted self again. How I missed thee.

What an intense episode. I was lliterally on the edge of my seat when Dexter was dragging that guy away while Deb was just around the corner. I thought he was going to get caught and have to lie his way out of it.

This season is insane. I have no idea what's going to happen but I know its going to be a crazy ride.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Agreed. I was a little surprised that there have been less comments. I am loving this season. Both Dexter and the PD have their own significant targets; Dexter's new counterpart is very compelling; and his home life is complicated enough to have an effect on the workings of his dark passenger. I also like what they are doing with Quinn and hius suspicions. About the only plotline I didn't like was LaGuerta and Angel fighting over such stuff, but they seem to have done away with the silliness last night. I do think there was a mistake in there being some "policy" that the uniforms couldn't enter a facility before the detectives and that they'd call Dexter and Matsouka before the uniforms or anyone else even confirmed a crime scene, but I was able to overlook it. Anyone a cop that can explain why the uniforms would have to wait outside before anyone ascertained whether someone could be hurt inside and that time was of the essence?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Charlie Campisi

Agreed. I was a little surprised that there have been less comments. I am loving this season. Both Dexter and the PD have their own significant targets; Dexter's new counterpart is very compelling; and his home life is complicated enough to have an effect on the workings of his dark passenger. I also like what they are doing with Quinn and hius suspicions. About the only plotline I didn't like was LaGuerta and Angel fighting over such stuff, but they seem to have done away with the silliness last night. I do think there was a mistake in there being some "policy" that the uniforms couldn't enter a facility before the detectives and that they'd call Dexter and Matsouka before the uniforms or anyone else even confirmed a crime scene, but I was able to overlook it. Anyone a cop that can explain why the uniforms would have to wait outside before anyone ascertained whether someone could be hurt inside and that time was of the essence?

Actually, that's fairly accurate. Because there was no sign of actual violence going on at the scene, uniformed officers cannot enter a building, as they don't have a warrant or landholders permission..

a dective can call in a warrant if needed, and on public properties, they are the ones who can make the decision to waltz in. A uniformed officer isn't in a position to do either of those things. So, their job would be to stay outside and contain the scene in case someone is in there.

But they won't contaminate a crime scene, and they can't get heads up to enter without circumstances that warrant it (if they had heard shooting or whatever)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Deb didn't have a warrant either, so that wasn't the issue. The report was that there was shots fired and possible homicide, which means someone may have been in danger (and in fact was) with the perp possibly inside. That pretty much not only allows, but mandates, the officers to go right in I would think.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
While Dexter's use of his victim was clever, I couldn't help thinking the whole thing wouldn't hold up to closer scrutiny and autopsy. The rapist has his neck snapped, and the 'mummy' was apparently strangled. Who killed who?

While I love both the show and the books I'm always annoyed when something I think should become a major headache for Dexter never materializes. I was expecting this season to be about Dexter trying to escape the heat of the Trinity episode but that's all but gone (except for Quinn's suspicions). Then you have the bathroom murder early in the season, etc.

Unrelated to the above - I wonder how closely the writers work with the author of the books. The last book, while having a completely different plot, does share similarities to this season - that is... ah I'll spoilerize this because I know I like going into some things blind, but it's pretty minor:

that is both involve Dexter saving a victim from a 'club' of people trying to kill her and being stuck with her for a period of time.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Hey Paul -

Funny how tastes differ.

If you are also looking for loose ends, don't forget that Dexter probably didn't have time to clean the crime scene and Lumen's fingerprints are everywhere, including the hose nozzle, which Vince has an interest in. And we already know her fingerprints are in the database.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

If you are also looking for loose ends, don't forget that Dexter probably didn't have time to clean the crime scene and Lumen's fingerprints are everywhere, including the hose nozzle, which Vince has an interest in. And we already know her fingerprints are in the database.

I think you misinterpreted what I wrote by just a little bit.

Some of the promos for this season led me to believe Dexter would have a lot to answer to in regards to Trinity. And we get nothing.

I never thought the bathroom murder who lead to anything, but others here did. But like I said in my first sentence above - Dexter might have gotten out of a tight spot initially with that crime scene posturing, but it would never hold up in reality. Some mistakes are far too glaring to not come back to haunt the character. What I found curious is when Matsuka suggested not touching the nozzle of the hose. My first thought was 'lumen's prints are all over that thing' then I realized they were just making a dirty joke. They SHOULD check the hose because surely the ground was still wet from the hosing down, but I doubt they will. Then again, that was a pretty tight closeup on the hose which makes me wonder if they eventually will check the hose.

BTW - I love the books. The last one, however, didn't even feel like a Dexter book.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Gotcha. I don't watch any previews so I did miss a little of your point. I am enjoying this season a lot. Always helps when the season co-lead (Lila/Doakes, Lithgow, Ice Truck) is interesting. The only season that seemed to tread water too long for me was the one with Jimmy Smits, but that ended well. I really like the job that Julia Stiles is doing. Completely has me sold through her various stages of traumatized terror, grief, vengeance, fear, broken psyche.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
The only thing that really has bugged me this season so far is the jarring jump forward from when he takes Lumen to the bodies to the next episode where they've been friendly for a few weeks and meeting at the cafe. For a show that generally stays day-to-day through the season (even if they jump ahead in the offseason), it was awkwardly done.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
What bothered me in an otherwise very good ep was the way the bodies in the cans conveniently were ejected from the barrels and landed in perfect position.

Unless of course they laid them out before we see the scene.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think they were laid out for identification next to the barrels they came out of, spread out for the photos that were being taken in that scene.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson

Gotcha. I don't watch any previews so I did miss a little of your point. I am enjoying this season a lot. Always helps when the season co-lead (Lila/Doakes, Lithgow, Ice Truck) is interesting. The only season that seemed to tread water too long for me was the one with Jimmy Smits, but that ended well. I really like the job that Julia Stiles is doing. Completely has me sold through her various stages of traumatized terror, grief, vengeance, fear, broken psyche.

Funny how opinions differ. I think Julia Stiles is a terrible actress and has been terrible in everything I've seen her in, including this.

This season has been okay, but I'm not getting into it like past seasons. I don't have that "have to watch it the night it airs" desire I always had in the past for this show. The last two episodes have at least picked it up though.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I've never wanted to see something because Julia Stiles is in it. I've also never thought of her as "hot". That said, when I see something she's in, I tend to like her performance. She kind of reminds me of a young Sissy Spacek. I think she's a good actress. In fact, I think she's a far better actress than most of the "it" girls her age. I think she's rather reserved, but I think it fits with her current role.

As it relates to Dexter, I feel like she's doing a good job playing a damaged woman who has been through what she's been through. She's jumpy, afraid, desperate for revenge/vengeance (not justice), focused, but also needy. Her reaction to Dexter and especially Dexter's son is tapping into the humanity she still has. She needs to know she can still care about (and feel) things. Seeing Dexter's son not only made her happy, but made her happy should could be happy.

Maybe it's the late hour, but I find it difficult to find anything about her performance that's lacking.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm waiting for the neighbor who had the hots for Rita to start wondering why Dexter now has a young attractive female living in his house. In real life it would give the police good reason to suspect him of murdering his wife and making it look like an on-the-loose serial killer. After all, Rita's death didn't fit the pattern, IIRC.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that Julia Stiles has a face like a Pekingese and that her acting was pretty flat. But with that said, I don't mind her in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks