What's new

Dexter Season 4 (1 Viewer)

mylan

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Joe_H

Have to agree as well, but damn she is an ugly crier.

I can agree there, I had to pause it while my wife went to the bathroom so I was stuck with that image for longer than I wanted.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm the minority here, but I have found Dexter Season 4 to be sub-par at best. The last episode opens up some great new possibilities for the rest of the season, but, up until now, the show has been a somewhat pale imitation of its best years (1 and 2).

For instance, episode 4: the police officer was such a contrived character and story and clearly constructed to advance a point about the Dexter-and-his-family theme. I didn't feel Dexter was ever in danger and I thought the police officer character seemed awfully "fake."

The show still has sharp writing and great characters and I hope that the rest of the season (since episode 5 seems to be a turning point) is executed at a higher level than episodes 1 to 5.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I guess Kev, we're just enjoying different things.

But I thought tonight's ep was another home run. Damn is Lithgow a creepy bastard!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Agreed Matt. The dance between the two serial killers has begun. Hall and Lithgow are just as good as I thought they would be when they finally started to share the screen. The 'mentoring' of Dexter on how to incorporate the two sides of his life is great stuff.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I think the Batista/LaGuerta storyline is really dragging this season down. It just kind of came out of nowhere - like, "let's just dump Batista's love story which we spent the last part of Season 3 developing, and put two of our people together and see what happens". The thing is, there's never been any reason for them to be together. It doesn't make sense. That the show manages to succeed as entertainment despite this filler is testament to the great Trinity storyline.

But I really wish they'd cut their losses and dump the story (unfortunately, I have a feeling it's not going anywhere). I'd rather watch a bad spinoff show of Quinn and his reporter girlfriend solving crimes than another ten minutes of "is this crazy, Ahn-hell?" "Crazy good!" (smack, smack)

Again though, it must be said... Lithgow rocks.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Y

I think the Batista/LaGuerta storyline is really dragging this season down.
I agree (perhaps not on the degree that it's bringing it down though - for the most part it's a very small part of the story). I think more importantly though, my like for the Angel character has waned with every season, and this storyline is just killing him for me. I really liked him in season 1.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell

Lithgow is making this the best season since the first one. He's got his role nailed.
Indeed. Is there anybody in the business who does nice and creepy, often at the same time, as well?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Is there anyone who LaGuerta hasn't had a thing for anyway? Season 1 she wanted Dexter, she had that thing in the past with Doakes, now this with Angel... in a few more years maybe she'll be hooking up with Masuka.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
In season 1, she was flirting with him and coming onto him very strongly. And somehow I forgot to mention how she used to date Miguel as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it was about time, with all the domesticated Dexter stuff getting in the way of Dexter's nocturnal activities, Dexter finally got a little too smug about his CSI skills and snuffed out the wrong guy.

Quinn just never has gelled with me as a character, and he's bit of detailing Dexter's every move is going to end up badly for him.

Trinity also confuses me, the season-long arc of Dexter playing cat-n-mouse with him is wearing thin for me.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Dexter killing an innocent person was a long time coming. Trinity building a coffin was a nice bit of foreshadowing. Sure hope they do not squash Deb finding out about Dexter's mother.

A coming together of threads episode. Things should get real interesting next episode.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Quinn just never has gelled with me as a character, and he's bit of detailing Dexter's every move is going to end up badly for him.
Exactly, look what happened to Doakes.

I wonder if Trinity's schedule has been accelerated? They said he does his three once a year or so. I know the coffin can't be for one of the three though since he leaves his victims to be found. Unless trinity isn't really a trinity? Maybe a quad or pentagonal killer?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
What confused me is I thought the photographer all but admitted to killing those women while on the "table". Did I miss something?

Either way, I don't know if I'd call that guy innocent.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The photographer admitted to beating the women up for realism for his photographs. He was certainly despicable but he was not a murderer.

The coffin, IMHO, is for Dexter. Trinity acted so distraught because he knows that Dexter is on to him and this killing is outside of his pattern but he has to do it.

Dexter killing the deer and the photographer with an axe was a nice subtle link.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
S4 is coming together nicely. It took a few episodes to gain momentum.
Angel's life may have been spared. Doakes, Ellen and Miguel can attest to the fact that there's no future in getting close to Maria. Oh that's right, no they can't.

I have no doubt whatsoever whom the coffin is for.
Arthur is building it for himself. He knows he's dying and that's why he's brought his act back home to Miami after 30 years. The perfectionistic attention to detail and the frown at Dexter cutting down "his" tree for him are hints, I think.
But then again, I never get tired of being wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks