What's new

Devo the history of devolution on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
According to todays music tap, linked by the Digital Bits, They announced that the above is on its way! Anyone have any details? I remember a VHS in the early 80's called "We're all Devo" that was FANTASTIC!

I'm not ashamed to say it... I've been hoping for a Devo video compilation on DVD since I got a player!

Sorry, It's called "Devo : The complete truth behind Devolution", they also anouced "Devo Lollapalooza". No streets, no features. Any info on these would be appreciated.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
It would be a dream if the DVD could be done by Criterion
or maybe HVe (Home Vision Entertainment) the holder of
the old Voyager laserdisc label.
A good commentary track by Mothersbaugh.
Voyager / Criterion did a great laserdisc see;

http://www.dvdlaser.com/search/detail.cfm?ID=15521

Criterion's DVD of the Beastie Boys is very well done
(not counting the radio edit of the songs).

HVe did the DVD of "Comic Book Confidential" which was
the same content as the Voyager laserdisc, so there may
be hope yet.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Criterion's Beastie Boys is pretty much a must own as far as how to do a video compilation is concerned. Thanks for link, I never had a laser disc, so I missed out on this one. I pray it has all the material!

Does anyone own the above laser? I'd like to know if it included the films the band used to show before their concerts, and if it is in fact complet as far as videos are concerned.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Been waiting for this one on DVD ever since the LD was released (DVD was just a rumor then).
For any 'spuds' who have never seen the "Mongoloid" video, your in for a treat.
Use to be played in between bands at the Fab Mab in S.F..
Where I saw Devo play wearing promo Sex Pistols T's, as the SP's were soon to play there last concert date of the first US tour (they were label mates on WB) at Winterland.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It would be cool if the two original "Q: Are we not men" era performances from SNL could be included somehow.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Found a playlist for my laserdisc;
(boy I wish my laserdisc player still worked)

Side One (CLV)
1 Logos
2 Titles
3 Devo Corporate Anthem (1979)
4 In The Beginning Was The End: The Truth About De-evolution
(1976-1977)
5 Satisfaction (1978)
6 A word about laserdiscs
7 Come Back Jonee (1979)
8 The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprise (1979)
9 Worried Man (1979)
10 Whip It (1980)
11 Girl U Want (1980)
12 Freedom Of Choice (1980)
13 Another word about laserdiscs
14 Through Being Cool (1981)
15 Love Without Anger (1981)
16 Beautiful World (1981)
17 Time Out For Fun (1982)
18 Peek-A-Boo (1982)
19 That's Good (1982)
20 More about laserdiscs
21 RU Experienced? (1984)

Side Two (CAV)

22 The final word about laserdiscs
23 Disco Dancer (1988)
24 Post Post-Modern Man (1990)
25 Post Post-Modern Man, Rocky Schenck remix (1990)
26 Devo music video credits
27 Supplement opening/directory
28 Chuck Statler interview
29 Tour film
30 Early live gigs
31 Photos
32 The deal
33 Albums, singles, CDs
34 Posters
35 Devo-wear and T-shirts
36 Buttons, pins, badges
37 Miscellaneous de-evolution
38 Kindred spirit
39 Laserdisc production credits
40 Color bars

Notes:
the first chapter "Logos" just says "Voyager presents". (Voyager is the company that released the disc)

the second chapter has some animation as it says "Devo" and "The Complete Truth About De-evolution".

the four "About Laserdiscs" chapters contain an informational project that Devo did for Pioneer back in 1979 or 1980.

the "Tour Film" starts with text explaining that Devo made short video clips just to play during concerts. Then it plays "Booji Boy's Funeral" where Booji gets his head chopped off as seen in "We're All Devo", and explains that the rest of the film which shows Booji at the hospital is now lost.

"Early Live Gigs" shows Devo playing at various places, the first one being the Kent State Creative Arts Festival in 1972, their first public performance ever. Also includes a performance by Dove (The Band Of Love), the band they opened for themselves as.

"Photos" includes what must be over 200 shots of the band at various stages of their career, including the Late Night [with David Letterman] performance and many many promo pics.

"The Deal" is text by Jerry Casale explaining all the sordid details behind their first record deal. Extremely interesting. Then it includes a scene from "The Men Who Make The Music" where Daddy Know-It-All reams Rod Rooter, who in turn reams Devo.

"Albums, Singles, CDs" starts off with text explaining the circumstances surrounding the cover of "Are We Not Men", which you would not believe. Then it goes through album covers front and back, domestic and import, picture discs, and a very incomplete collection of singles and CDs.

"Miscellaneous De-evolution" contains excerpts from Booji Boy's book "My Struggle", and shows pictures of literature connected with Devo ideas in one way or another. Then it shows a collection of artwork of the spudboys, apparently done by fans.

"Kindred Spirit" shows the Timothy Leary scene from "We're All Devo". Audio track contains both Jerry and Mark explaining their connection with Dr. Leary.

The rest is pretty self-explanatory. The audio track is priceless for the hardcore devotee. Jerry and Mark explain the ideas behind each video and exactly how each one came about, and then how well they were received (and perceived). It gives the listener a real feel for what the band was going through during their career. It's not pretty, but it's real devo.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I should point out that Devo (semi-)announced these on their official site well over a year ago, along with two other DVDs (another video compilation called The Men Who Make the Music and a concert DVD called Butch Devo and the Sundance Kid). Devo Lollapalooza is also a concert DVD. All four were supposed to be out in the spring of 2002 but I haven't heard anything about them since. Seeing how Musictap doesn't seem to have any additional information (such as an estimated release date or even the distributor) I'm not getting my hopes up, unfortunately. I'd loved to be proved wrong.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I'm holding on to my We're All Devo tape, unless the DVD includes all the in-between bits.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Assuming this is the same content that is on the LaserDisc that Enrique describes in great detail above, it is an absolute MUST OWN for any DEVO fan.

I bought this LaserDisc BEFORE I EVEN OWNED a player. I rented a player to tape it to VHS. Worth every penny of the $49.99 I paid at Tower Records. The commentary is one of the best I've ever heard. It is typical Criterion/Voyager in it's presentation and extremely high quality.

We're all DEVO!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"the four "About Laserdiscs" chapters contain an informational project that Devo did for Pioneer back in 1979 or 1980."

These are actually clips from a 1984 instore demo laserdisc, which I happen to also have :D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
"Mongoloid" is not featured on the Laser as I remember. I'll have to check my (very very old) "We're All DEVO" LaserDisc to see if it's there. Also conspicuously missing is "Theme from Doctor Detriot", probably a rights issue.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think the mongoloid video was on the We're all Devo release from the early eighties on VHS By Sony music. I do not know if this differs from the Rhino reissue that happened later on. If the DVD has all the clips and films from WAD and History laser discs, I'll be one happy SPUD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks