What's new

Devil's Rejects/Stir of Echoes/American Psycho? (1 Viewer)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I couldn't find reviews in this forum of these Blu Rays, but I'm going to be sending in for my 5 free titles and this subsection is giving me the toughest decision.

I love all three of those films and own the SD's of each. Now I've heard that all three of these are rather lackluster HD titles. Is this so?

Right now I'm leaning towards Devil's Rejects, but if one of the other titles is a drastic improvement over the other two than I'll definitely reconsider.

Just wanted to know if anybody has seen all three, and if so, what's the way to go here for someone who loves all three?

Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
www.highdefdigest.com has plenty of reviews - I use it to get a gauge on video mainly. I was impressed with American Psycho's video quality. I liked Stir of Echoes, but based on the review of the video quality, I didn't pick that one up.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
My thoughts exactly, John. I ALWAYS read the reviews on highdefdigest.com before buying ANY blu-ray or HD-DVD movie and based on the review they had for Stir of Echoes, it made me not buy the movie even though it is one of my favourite movies of all time.

It appears that the blu-ray transfer is the same shitty transfer they used for the Special Edition with all the block noise in the solid objects. Having compared both the regular edition DVD and the Special Edition DVD myself on my 127" screen, I can clearly see that the Special Edition is much inferior to the non-special (and better) edition. I can't believe they would use the worse transfer for the BD instead of using the better transfer. :frowning:

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the advice, guys! I've actually never looked at that site today, but I spent a good chunk of time at work today reading it!

Based on the reviews there, I'm thinking about going with The Devil's Rejects. I love Echoes, but I'm glad I hung onto the old Artisan release based on what you're saying.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I thought American Psycho looked pretty good - not sure of why it got criticized.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I tend to take some of these critiques with a grain of salt, especially after reading scathing reviews of Universal's Streets of Fire HD DVD, a release which really knocked my socks off.

But I appreciate the point in the right direction, I'm sure I'll end up with them all at some point!

DeeF

Screenwriter
I've just purchased the BD of American Psycho.

It's pausing every 30 seconds, or so. Very annoying. I don't know if this is a disk problem, or a player problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks