Device with Remote turn-on?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimPeitersen, Mar 10, 2003.

1. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Guys,
    What would you recommend for use as a remote turn-on device for my power amps (I have seperates, but the processor doesn't have a 12 volt trigger - just a switched outlet.) I don't really care much about the line filtering/conditioning/surge protection of the device because I will be using a dedicated line with whole-house protection. Any relatively inexpensive devices you would recommend? Thanks,
    Jim

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

Parasound makes a device called a SCAMP. You can find them on Ebay or Audiogon quite frequently. I have 2 and each turns on a 200wpc amp with no problems. You can read about the SCAMP at the Parasound website.

3. John H

John H Second Unit

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

As John H says, get a 12V AC/DC Transformer from WalMart or Radio Shack (273-1773). Cut the plug off the end and wire it to your amp(s) trigger inputs. Plug the thing into the switched outlet of your pre-pro.

You may not need a 500mA unit and may only need as little as 200mA. Check your amp manual to see if it has any info. The extra current shouldn't be a problem though.

5. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

Along the same topic, I have a question about using wallwart for 12V trigger.

I have a Sony TAE-9000ES pre/pro which doesn't have 12V trigger out. The amp that I have - Aragon 2005 has no 12V trigger in as well.

This Friday, I bought a Panamax 5300 and this device has 12V in and out and the power amp can be configured to use 12V for on/off. This wallwart idea is excellent as I actually have one plugged in for a case fan (12V also) I use to cool down the pre/pro. This wallwart is one of those universal that has a selector for 3V - 12V and a polarity switch.

The question I have is can I split the connections into 2 and one goes to the Panamax and the other goes to the case fan. Also, what about the polarity? The Panamax doesn't take bare wire and it looks like a mini headphone jack to me. So I'm not sure how the polarity should be set.

Any help is much appreciated,

Simon

6. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Simon, generally the centre pin is positive on the sub-mini plugs. There should be some sort of documentation with the Panamax to confirm that, plus it should give you the correct size to use (or else try their website or email them).

As my previous post, generally the 12V triggers do not require much current to operate, so depending on the current output of your wallwart and the current requirements of your fan, it 'may' work with one unit. As long as you wire the Panamax connector correctly it should not hurt it to try.

You could always plug a multi-plug into the switched outlet of your pre/pro and use one Transformer for your fan and another for the 12V trigger.

7. Simon Ngan

Paul,

Thanks for your information. According to the Panamax manual, I need a 1/8" mini-plug, 12VDC and bi-directional for polarity (what does bi-directional mean)? It needs only 30mA for current. The wallwart I have for the case fan is 500mA. Would it be overkill for the 30mA or 30mA is the minimum current to sense the signals?

Thanks again,

Simon

8. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Bi-directional means 'in both directions' [​IMG] to me,, but what Panamax is referring to I'm not sure. They may mean polarity doesn't matter. Perhaps you could email them.

30mA would be the minimum current required, again a quick email to Panamax Tech Support telling them what you plan to do would confirm it. I see no problems, but would get the Companies opinion.

All the trigger does is turn the gear on if it senses a 30mA, 12VDC source on the pins (in your case the mini-plug).

9. Simon Ngan

Paul,

Your answers were right on. I called Panamax today and found out bi-directional means either polarity is fine. Also, 30mA is the minimum current and I told him I have a 500mA current transformer and he said should be alright to use. What I did was, I bought a 1/8" mini-plug from Radio Shack and split the transformer into 2 outputs - one goes to the case fan, the other one goes to the Panamax. It seems to be working fine here.

Thanks again for your information.

Simon

10. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Hey, you guys hijacked my thread.[​IMG] Just kidding, the options discussed may work for me as well.
    JP

11. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Sorry Jim, got carried away [​IMG]

I always loved the name of your city. I'm just north of you by the way.