Device that tracks a dog's location?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Max Leung, May 27, 2004.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

My sister has a resourceful and cunning beagle that has the uncanny ability to escape from any backyard.

Is there some kind of device that can warn the owner/babysitter when the dog has wandered out of bounds? Something that can be worn on the collar, and another sensor that sends an alarm or dials a pager?

Like that device in that sci-fi movie where prisoners get their heads blown off if their collar goes out of bounds, for example...what was the movie called? Hmm. Except I don't want the exploding part.

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

There are shock collars that can be triggered by a wire buried under ground. Those are very effective although I'm sure some consider them inhumane. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar system that sounded some sort of alarm.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

In my experience keith dogs will hit that limit once, twice if they're "slow" and never go near those white flags again [​IMG]

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Think that was Arnold's movie Running Man

That would work but would not be good for the dog... [​IMG]

Jay

5. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Maybe you can call up GM and see if they have "on-star" for dogs. Hello on-star, my dog has escaped, where is he? It would be pretty cool though if you could track your pet on your pc.

6. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Pet Owner: Where is he?
    On-Star: We've located him.
    Pet Owner: Thank goodness!
    On-Star: He's at the corner of 12th and Elm.
    Pet Owner: Is he OK?
    On-Star: He appears to be relieving himself on a fire hydrant.... or he might be engaged in coitus with a poodle... hard to tell.

[​IMG]

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My friend is an animal lover and a dog trainer and she would NEVER do anything to harm a dog, yet she uses the invisible fence. The reason people think it's cruel is because they think it's this massive jolt to the dog. It's hardly that at all. The shock doesn't hurt them, it merely scares them. It almost reminded me of those joke buzzers you put in your hand.

It's actually MUCH better than some of the other methods people use.

http://www.invisiblefence.com/

8. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Comical though, this thread may be, a similar story was just in the news this week, it smacks of big brother though.home again
    [​IMG]
    Re-Pet will be next Y'know?

9. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Actually, I use the Home Again microchips in my vet clinic. Although they won't help you track Fido or Fluffy, they can save his/her life if they get picked up by animal control.
    The microchips are implanted through a BIG bore needle, so I recommend implanting them during anesthesia.

As far as Re-Pet, there are already people trying to have their pets cloned.

10. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

The electric fence might work like others said.

I had a dog once that didn't care about the electric fence. We had it on the horse setting and he still kept getting out of the yard. He was a complete nut anyways. If my mom had him in the car, he wouldn't let her out unless they were here at the house. It was like he didn't trust anything. He ended up being viscious towards men and no amount of training fixed any of his bad habits, so we had to put him to sleep.

11. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

There's also a collar that. instead of shocking the dog, releases citronella (apparently dogs very much dislike this smell) as a corrective measure.

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Thanks guys. (Ah, Running Man! It's been a long time. I wasn't sure if it was that movie, as my brain has been corrupted by a few other mid-80's sci-fi flicks. [​IMG] )

The beagle supposedly has some kind of chip implanted in it for identification and so forth. But, that won't help if she meets an untimely end in traffic and so forth.

I'll check out the invisible fence and pass it along to my sister. It will likely be cheaper than the hunting dog tracking devices that can send a message to your pager or email you (which I assume will cost big bucks). This beagle is pretty fearless though...dunno if a horse shock will work. [​IMG]

13. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103239/

The first movie that came to mind was Wedlock. The prisoners wore a collar around their neck and if any prisoner got too far from another, the colar explodes. A good movie.

Perhaps a GPS device on the dog

Stefan