Deus Ex 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by John Madia, Oct 31, 2003.

1. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

I thought that the first Deus Ex was one of the best video games I've ever played and now that the sequel is almost here I'm starting to get excited about it. The problem is I doubt my computer will handle it and I can't find the system requirements anywhere. I have an AMD 1200/384 Ram/ Geforce 2. I'm guessing I'd need a new video card to get a decent frame rate. Even them I'm not sure it would run.

My other option is to get the XBOX version. The only trouble with that is I don't like playing FPS with the gamepad. I'm so used to the mouse/keyboard combo that I'm only half as effective with a gamepad. That's probably the reason why I still haven't played Halo.

Any long time mouse/keyboard users switch to a gamepad? Was it more intuitive after a while or still a bit awkward?

2. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

Several previews have complained about horrible framerates on the XBox builds. The PC version apparently has some pretty steep system requirements as well. I read somewhere that a demo should be close to release, so we should be able to get a taste soon.

About the gamepad thing, I played halfway through Halo on the XBox although I'm a keyboard/mouse sort of player. You get used to it after a while, but I was happy to go back to playing first-person shooters on my PC. I've been using the mouse/keyboard ever since the original Doom was released so it just feels second nature to me.

3. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Gamepads have been the only thing that has kept me from buying any console. You would think that somebody like MadCatz would create a keyboard/mouse device that would emulate the gamepad input.

Bet they would sell a ton of them, along with plenty more consoles.

4. James T

James T Screenwriter

I really, really tried to like the first one, but Deus Ex and some Nvidia cards didn't want to cooperate. After about 5-15 mins of play, it'll slow down to 1-2 frames/second.

I'll probably rent this on the xbox first as I have a feeling I'll be a bit confused with the story since I only made it to the airport near Japan in the first game.

5. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

I'm not sure you'll miss that much if you didn't play the first game. It's been quite a while since I finished and I forgot a lot of stuff. I do remember that their were three different endings depending on your actions; none of them were particularly "good" endings.

I'm glad they're improving a lot of stuff in the sequel. In the first one, you didn't get to choose to be a bad guy once you found out certain information. I didn't want to be a bad guy but would appreciate the added replay value that it would bring. Also, stealth/non-lethal takedowns were only important up to a point. After that, you could kill with impunity.

Flaws aside, the first game was one of the most open ended games ever. Plus, it had about 35+ hours of gameplay, far more than an average FPS.