Detroit Lions defer in overtime? What?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 24, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

How can you defer to the other team in overtime? What were the Lions thinking? The Lions give the Bears the ball first in overtime, and the Bears score! Geez!
    [c][​IMG][/c]

2. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    It seems to happen about once every 10-15 years. The Bucs did it under Coach Ray Perkins back when they were a lousy team in the late 80s.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, it just boggles the mind. Have the Lions conceded the season? Do they already have their sights set on the number-one pick? [​IMG]

4. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

D'oh!

Weird call. Here's an article on it from ESPN.com:

After winning the coin toss to start overtime on Nov. 24 against the Bears, the Lions decided to play defense first with a strong 17 mph wind at their backs instead of taking the ball. "Knowing the outcome of this game, I wouldn't do it again," coach Marty Mornhinweg said. "But in a similar situation, I would. I had complete confidence in our defense up to that point. I had complete confidence we would get a stop. The wind knocked the ball off the tee when we were kicking off. It was substantial, that was my rationale." But given the ball first, Jim Miller moved the Bears from their own 35 to the Detroit 22, hitting third down passes of 14 and 15 yards to Marty Booker and then connecting again with a 5-yarder to Dez White on fourth-and-3 from the Detroit 30 to get Bears' kicker Paul Edinger in position for the game winner. "You always want to take the ball," Edinger said. "It's sudden death."

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

1.) It was assinine for the Lions to turn down the ball, especially since Chicago had the momentum at the end of the fourth quarter.
    2.) The Lions decided to make the Bears go against the wind in OT, yet when Detroit could have forced the Bears to make a 52 yard FG into that wind on a 4th and 8, the Detroit coach decided to take a holding penalty on the previous play, basically extending the Chicago drive. The Bears picked up 15 yards on the 3rd and 18 and then made the critical conversion on 4th and 3. The rest is history. Detroit's coach gets the Bonehead of the Week award.

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I understand the reasoning behind the decision, but you should never ever choose to kick in overtime. NFL is the only football organization that uses sudden death rather than give each team an opportunity. So if you choose to kick off, you aren't even guaranteed a shot at touching the ball, regardless of the overtime coin toss stats.

Anyway, I hope the Lions and Bears concede sometime soon. My Bucs still have to travel to both teams next month and I would prefer those to be easier game.

7. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    And after just watching the highlights...why give the Bears another 3rd down. I'm sure they would have punted on 4th and 8 rather than 4th and 3. Pathetic.

8. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

It was a couple of bad gambles. I'll withhold judgement until he's in a game that's not meaningless. At this point it's pretty much "anything goes".

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    As a friend of mine who works for the Broncos told me an hour ago "there's a reason why conventional wisdom is conventional"...of course, he was referring to the Broncos decision to throw the ball on 3rd down instead of run the ball (which would have run down the clock and probably prevented the Broncos game from going to overtime.

But that can be applied to the Detroit coaching staff's OT decisions.

If you can't make good enough decisions in meaningless games, you won't be around for the meaningful ones.

10. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Marty's going to need a lot more talented, healthy players before his decisions will be of any consequence, no matter how bizarre those decisions may be.

I get the impression that he wants to err on the side of having confidence in the players. In the case of this rebuilding (pretty much from scratch) injury riddled team, that's a leap of faith-out of an airborne plane without a parachute. The players have seemed to appreciate the vote of confidence on his previous gambles. We'll see if he's lost them after yesterday's miscalculated risks.

I'm usually in favor of giving a new coach at least 3 years to get it together, no matter how awful the first two seasons go. However, if the Lions get a chance to bring Coach Mooch back to his home state when his contract with SF is up, I'd be happy to see Marty take a demotion or his outright release.

However, no matter who the coach is, they're going to need a number of better starters and a lot more depth before it will make a difference.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John shared the following from espn.com:

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I'll give Marty the benefit of the doubt on kicking off in OT (although I think it was the wrong decision). However, his decision to accept a holding penalty instead of letting the play stand and force a fourth and 8 in OT is beyond my comprehension. There is absolutely no way the Bears would have tried a 52 yard field goal into that wind -- if they did, it would have been even more to Detroit's benefit, since they would have received the ball at their 42 yard line after the miss. You never give the other team another opportunity (3rd and 18) when you can get the ball.

Marty blew it big time. They probably would have lost anyway, but Marty's poor decisions ensured the loss.

13. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Another reason it was an idiotic choice is that the Lions' defense had shown no ability to stop the Bears in the last ten minutes of the game. In fact, the Lions' defense had been on the field for over eight of the final ten minutes, and were sucking wind.

Thank you, Coach M.

14. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Something tells me he bet against his own team.

15. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Taking a penalty to give the Bears 3rd and 13 instead of declining the penalty for 4th and 8 has to be about as stupid a decision as a coach could make. For crying out loud, that and deferring on the kick-off is absolutely inexcusable. The coach deserves to be vilified in the media. If I were Matt Millen, I would fire him immediately.

Casey said:

17. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Little does everyone know, that before he made the final decision, Marty was on call phone with Leon Lett, asking advice [​IMG]

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steven, based on Casey's comment, maybe the coach has been talking to Pete Rose. [​IMG]

19. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, I don't know what the Detroit media is like, but the Lions coach should be thankful he isn't in New York or Philadelphia.