Determining which setup to purchase?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by mikeHende, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

How does one go about determining "which" surround or Home theatre system he/she should purchase? Are there "Mathematics" involved so you will purchase one that's right for the "size" of your room, e.t.c? If so, how/where can I get this info please? Thanks.

2. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

Please clarify your question. Are you talking about 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 sourround sound system? If so, purhcase the best you can right now, most likely 7.1
    Please clarify your question though

3. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

From all that I've read on the Home theatre/surround sound issue, it seems that you need to know the size [dimensions] of the room you wish to use before purchasing equipment. So ok, you measure your room and now you have the dimensions, what next? How do you know now what setup to purchase that will work with those room dimensions?

4. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

Can you please direct me to where you've read this? A website or something? Why can't you just do a 7.1 system regardless of the room dimensions?

5. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Room dimensions don't dictate which surround system you go with, but factors like, for example, one wall all windows or, no solid wall in the rear, may hinder placement of certain speakers.
    If room is "normal" (four walls, rectangular, etc.) then I think budget is your only factor. Try for a 7.1 surround system that fits your budget.

I have a 7.1 system in my theater. See link below.

David