What's new

Determine Actual Displayed Resolution (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Happy New Year's Eve!

I am not seeing much if any difference in my Sony KDF46E2000's display quality from my Directv HD input whenever I change the DTV resolution setup from 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i to any one or all of the resolution settings.

So far in my quest to unravel this mystery I've received conflicting information regarding. Namely, Sony tells me that the displayed resolution is as shown on the 46E's "Display" top left menu. Whereas others tell me that the resolution shown on the "Display" top left menu is the resolution being input into the 46E?

Who is right, who is wrong and more importantly - "How do I determine the exact resolution being displayed?"

Louisp

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Everything is being displayed at 720p because that's the native resolution of this panel. It scales everything to this for display. I suspect that any resolutions it tells you are what is being input but I am not directly familiar with the display.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
If I'm not mistaken, DirectTV still broadcasts some things in 480i.

Now, if the box is set to output a 720p signal, it upscales that 480i picture to 720p. If the box is set to output a 480i signal, your television will upscale that image to its native resolution. It could be that both scalers are of approximately equal quality.

Conversely, if the programme is HD-- 720p or 1080i and the box is set to output a 480i signal, it will downgrade the HD, and you'll lose detail. So, make sure that you are seeing an HD image before deciding whether 720p or 1080i output is superior. If there's an "automatic" option, you might try that as well.

And if you still can't tell the difference between HD and SD, clean your glasses, or move close to the television. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhirooajantoom