What's new

Pre-Order Detective Story (1951) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Understood!
Hollywood's a strange place- look at all the actresses who still had to interact with a Harvey Weinstein, even knowing what he had done to either them or others they knew, all for the sake of preserving their careers and livelihood . And that was now, so I can only imagine what it was like in the 40s and 50s and 60s

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hollywood's a strange place- look at all the actresses who still had to interact with a Harvey Weinstein, even knowing what he had done to either them or others they knew, all for the sake of preserving their careers and livelihood . And that was now, so I can only imagine what it was like in the 40s and 50s and 60s
It was much worse and it goes back to the silent era.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I'm not much of a Kirk Douglas fan and never liked this film for a few reasons. But I saw it again a couple weeks ago and liked it more--mainly for the other actors, pretty much all of them (William Bendix, wow!). Douglas is quite good at times, but I always feel he's acting, not being the character. I dont'like seeing DETECTIVE STORY categorized so often as film noir--it has none of the visual style, nor sense of fatalism, unless we see the Douglas character as doomed, which I could accept. As for Wyler, I say his best film of the 1950s is THE DESPERATE HOURS, with its own collection of great performances, spot-on direction and writing.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I saw a production of DETECTIVE STORY in 1984 at the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles. It starred Charlton Heston, Keith Carradine and Mariette Hartley. I don't think I've ever seen the film version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not much of a Kirk Douglas fan and never liked this film for a few reasons. But I saw it again a couple weeks ago and liked it more--mainly for the other actors, pretty much all of them (William Bendix, wow!). Douglas is quite good at times, but I always feel he's acting, not being the character. I dont'like seeing DETECTIVE STORY categorized so often as film noir--it has none of the visual style, nor sense of fatalism, unless we see the Douglas character as doomed, which I could accept. As for Wyler, I say his best film of the 1950s is THE DESPERATE HOURS, with its own collection of great performances, spot-on direction and writing.
He is doomed and he knows it, but can't help himself because he's broken inside his head. I don't get hungup on what's film noir and not. My interpretation is probably much broader than most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks