What's new
World Wide Stereo

Details on signal to noise ratio(snr) (1 Viewer)

acoustiman

Auditioning
Real Name
Amith
Hi. this my first post, and i would like to pre-announce that i am not an expert in acoustics and electronics(though it may sound ironic compared to my username).
my question is,
What is actually snr? Should the figures be greater or smaller for better performance?Some info please.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Terry St

Second Unit
I'm not an audio pro either, but SNR pops up in a lot of places. It typically is just a ratio of signal strength over background noise. Higher is usually better. e.g. If you had an amp with a very low SNR, it would not be able to produce signals you want (like a guitar) at volumes that are a lot higher than the background noise (i.e. static) you don't want. I've heard people call amps with low SNR "hissy" and amps with high SNR "quiet".

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why do you want to know? Signal to noise is typically a useless spec. Very little equipment, and only the absolute crap has any really noticeable noise these days. Now, back in the days of cassette recorders, it was useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettKarina
Recent bookmarks