What's new

Details on Phantom console (1 Viewer)

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
Finally some news about the Phantom console that is more then press release jibber-jabber.

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/07/09/2042207

It looks like I won't be buying one anytime soon. $400, plus a $9.95 a month fee to play some shareware quality games that I could easily get for free on my PC. My favorite quote from the story:

"You buy the console. You buy the games. Then you pay to play the games you bought on the console you bought. It's sort of like buying an arcade game but still having to put quarters in. And ads!"

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Not just shareware quality games, but also regular release games that'll cost just about full retail price...

You should either pay $10 a month and play whatever the hell you want, or for each game that you get to keep as long as you feel like, but not both.

I don't see the advantage of this thing over a well put together pc, other than initial cost of hardware. And you can do all sorts of other junk on the pc.

I really don't get that "$9.95 fee to your isp for bandwidth" junk.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
Are you suggesting they won't get the 750,000 subscribers they need to break even?

;)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sounds great to me! I can't wait until they go out of business and we can pick up old units for $60 on eBay. By that time, there should be documented instructions on how to turn it into a little XP terminal. Heck, they might make great HTPC's. :D

-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I was looking forward to buying some closeouts and turning them into servers, but I had forgotten to take into account the probability that it will never be built. ;)

-Dave

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
this will be a total success...if they can get Billy Zane to don the uniform again for their launch press party! :)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
There's an article linked from slashdot which has some guy who actually claims to have seen the prototype.

At this point it's all entertainment, there's no way this can succeed (with this guy at the helm, at least).

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I heard that the controllers have a built in credit card reader and it costs a buck an hour to use them as well. That can't be true, can it? :)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
The link matthew posted is what got my attention, this has scam written all over it. plus I liekthe PennyArcade take on the phantom.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
That article is very well thought out. I would say inadvertantly hilarious. Can't believe people are giving money to this dude with his history and PO Box address center of business. Definitely puts you in doubt of the real existence of this box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks