What's new

Details of Star Trek Nemesis DVD released (1 Viewer)

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I'll most definitely have to check out the Director's Cut if it's ever made. But the current cut is a complete mess. I enjoyed Generations, loved First Contact, thought Insurrection was decent, but this film felt like a final nail in the coffin. What a shame, The Next Generation deserved a much better ending than this...What happened?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Jeremy Conrad wrote (post #36):

Michael Piller was one of the main writers and decision-makers in the early years of DS 9, which is why those seasons are filled with a lot fluffy, often boring, and sometimes ridiculous stories, in my opinion.

It's only when Piller's role became greatly reduced that the show "took off". Same deal with TNG! (Out with the Wesley stories and other syrupily preachy BS!)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Brandon Conway wrote (post #38):

I don't know what "idea" you're referring to. That the Federation should and would go to war with the Sonaa over a planet with 600 people who are just too stubborn to move from their unrealistic little idyll when billions might otherwise benefit? I see nothing but a "wussy", preachy story in the classic Piller style. What an ABYSMALLY STUPID waste of money. Pick any number of first-year TNG episodes, instead, for $1(.5) million each.

No, its reeeeeally not good! Thumbs down, except for the battle scenes (good execution, not long enough).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what "idea" you're referring to. That the Federation should and would go to war with the Sonaa over a planet with 600 people who are just too stubborn to move from their unrealistic little idyll when billions might otherwise benefit?
This was my biggest complaint about Insurrection as well. To quote myself:

"Actually, for a series that supposedly displays its intelligence so frequently, Insurrection seems surprisingly afraid to address deep subjects. The filmmakers hint at a substantial issue, as it examines whether or not something that may benefit billions of people justifies the alteration of the lives of a few hundred. However, any real contemplation of this thought gets completely obscured by clichés. We never really get the opportunity to think that maybe the good of the many does outweigh the good of the few because the film sets up the aggressors in such stark contrast to their intended victims. We have the evil Son'a who desire to take away the lifestyles of the peaceful, really-good-looking-but-still-essentially-hippies Ba'ku. Nazi allegories abound as we're told repeatedly that the Bak'u must be allowed to exist as they are because of the "Prime Directive."

No one will side with the Son'a because they're just some nasty bastards who will clearly not allow the life-regenerating technology to be used for anyone but themselves. Starfleet Admiral Dougherty (Anthony Zerbe) fills the Neville Chamberlain role as he appeases the bad guys who don't seem likely to fulfill their end of the bargain. Nonetheless, a very complex issue arises from this. We are told that the Ba'ku simply lucked their way onto their little fountain of youth, so why are they allowed to hog it all?

I'm sorry, but there does seem something wrong about this little commune of 600 people who get to benefit from this amazing substance while the other billions of beings get nothing at all. If we find some little island in the Pacific that has amazing properties that cure cancer, should we leave it be because it already has some people on it who want to continue to play hacky-sack? Heck, the Son'a don't even threaten to kill the Bak'u until push comes to shove toward the end of the film; prior to that, they just want to relocate them to a holographic recreation of their village! The whole thing seems rather narrow-minded and selfish to me."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Where's the best place to get complete sales figures on all new releases?
"Video Business" is the only chart I know that tracks widescreen and pan-and-scan separately. Their Top 10 is re-printed in "Entertainment Weekly."

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I never understood why they would have to remove the Son'a to use the planet. Presumably, there's room for a lot more than 600 people.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
In response to David post about the TV Guide interview, that was why I was expecting a longer cut of the movie, not to mention all the discussion about it here.

Secondly, in my *INITIAL* post, I hadn't seen anything about ANY deleted scenes on the release as I evidently missed that information in the posts before mine in the thread. I had just popped over here from The DVD File where I didn't see anything mention of Deleted Footage in their release.

Also, let me say that I didn't mean to slam anyone, Paramount included, in my initial post. I also appreciate Mr. Blythe's post in this thread a great deal.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek: Insurrection writing credits

"Rick Berman (story) & Michael Piller (story); Michael Piller (screenplay)"

That alone throws a complete damper on that claim.
I still think Berman is the big bad here. However, I quite liked Insurrection. It's one of my top 3 favorite trek films, and top 2 TNG trek films.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Personally, I can't wait for this to come out and I look forward to seeing it again. This was a fun film, and a great star trek movie. I was pretty disappointed with all the whining going on and I found this to be a great movie for Star Trek.

Of course I really like the TNG crew and have liked all the TNG movies from First Contact on. So I may be the minority.

I would have liked to seen the secret added scenes and such but I'll take the movie as it comes. Bonuses have always been light on the Trek films so I don't know what you folks expect. The fact that it has deleted scenes should have you dancing in the streets.

I'd expect to get screwed, er, see a special edition in the coming year as the others are refreshed. But I'm not waiting.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Personally, I can't wait for this to come out and I look forward to seeing it again. This was a fun film, and a great star trek movie. I was pretty disappointed with all the whining going on and I found this to be a great movie for Star Trek.
Agreed! Better than First Contact, better than Generations and much better than Insurrection. The best of TNG movie line up.

Peace Out~:D

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I think people who say Star Trek is at its worst when its is preachy and "full fluff" are completely missing what Trek is all about. Star Trek was never meant to be at the great special effects or the exciting battle scenes. Preaching, fluff(character depth?) have to exist to make ST better then what is out there. Enterprise demonsrates my point exactly. The show is bad because all they can manage is some sexual tension in that stupid decontamination room. Sure the DS9 battle scenes were exciting but by season seven it got old and has went so far away from Treks ideals that the whole thing seemed silly. IMHO

As for the Nemesis DVD I think it could be a lot better. DTS for starters. But I will buy it without question. A Star Trek film would have to be pretty bad to prevent me from buy it and Nemesis was not.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Dan Rudolph wrote (post #48):

I think you mean the Ba'ku here. The Son'a are the "bad guys".

It's not a matter of settlement of the planet. The Son'a have the means to "harvest" the "metaphasic radiation", which retards aging and fends off illness or such like, from the rings that surround the planet. The process, however, will render the planet unlivable, so the "solution" is to resettle the 600-odd-strong Ba'ku population to some other planet.

Insurrection turns this into a quasi-genocidal act---dramatic overkill at its worst.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Like Armageddeon I was constantly looking at my watch during this mediocre film... I was hoping the extra footage might help Nemesis' schizoid editing somewhat.

It's like Stargate: a very frustrating, hair yanking movie. It could have been so much more! And Stargate has about an hour of actual, usable footage that could have helped it out a great deal, but has still not been put back in.

Dan

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Jon_W wrote (post #53):

fluff =

(a) "Gilbert & Sullivan"-interlude (Insurrection). Is this supposed to be Captain Picard, or Captain Crunch?!?
(b) a "Wesley Crusher's eyeview" on the universe on board the Enterprise-D (e.g., "Where No One Has Ever Gone Before")
(c) early Deanna Troi ("Counselor Cloy"), with her hair-do(n't)s and plunging necklines ("I'm sensing somesing, Captain.")
(d) Bajoran religion and ceremonials before the P'ah wraiths enter the picture
(e) others findable in the [COLOR=]Star Trek Gripes and Pet Peeves[/color] thread.

These kinds of things may be your idea of realistic character display or development. They aren't mine.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's like Stargate: a very frustrating, hair yanking movie. It could have been so much more! And Stargate has about an hour of actual, usable footage that could have helped it out a great deal, but has still not been put back in.
There is about 100 hours of available footage that makes Stargate all worthwhile. It's called Stargate SG-1.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
And who am I to tell full screen fans how to watch their movies?
I'm not saying anything. I'm not saying anything. Must ... resist ... temptation ... to ... lash ... out ... :angry:

However, on the topic of the Nemesis DVD, I too can't wait for this to come out. I feel that it is a highly under-rated film because we Trek fans have a tendency to compare every Trek movie to some other Trek movie and we refuse to look at each one on its own merits.

I'm definitely looking forward to the DVD.

Jim C

Second Unit
The scenes include one between Data and Jean-Luc Picard, in which they share a bottle of 2267 Chateau Picard champagne; an early scene of Shinzon; one between Worf and Picard in the observation lounge; one with Deanna Troi and Picard in a corridor; a second scene of "mental rape" of Troi in a turbolift; a sickbay scene with Picard and Dr. Beverly Crusher; and the original ending of the film, featuring the new first officer, Cmdr. Madden.
These details are correct - Paramount officially announced this last week.

However, don't expect these 7 scenes to amount to 45 minutes worth of footage-

Berman does an introduction to the DVD deleted scenes section where he confirms that 45 minutes were cut from the theatrical release of Nemesis, followed by introductions to each of the 7 deleted scenes by various cast/crew members (Baird, Stewart etc).

I have been hearing that the total running time of the 7 deleted scenes is 20 minutes.

http://www.startrek.com/news/productnews.asp?ID=128037

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks