What's new

Details of Star Trek Nemesis DVD released (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
See, now here is a chance for Paramount to go ahead and release their first "new title" DVD in DTS, but they aren't.

I have a feeling they will definately be hit and miss with their DTS offerings until they can really revy up their support for it. :frowning:

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
A full screen version? Did I miss something or it this the first ST movie that Paramount has done this for? And where in the world is the text commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda?

Don't mean to gripe, but unless they are planning on re-releasing an SE later, I'm less than impressed. It seems to have the makings of an SE, but just not consistent w/ some of the other re-releases. Personally, I'm getting tired of re-releases so I wish they'd just do it right the first time. Can anyone shed light on this?

Peace,

DM

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Not only that but they are releasing it in Full Screen and Widescreen Versions, "Et Tu Paramount?"

The Studio we could count on for OAR is now joining the lowest common denominator Sad Paramount.

Plus why not release this to match their other 2 disk special editions? With Four Featurettes and Deleted scenes the bit rate on this release is gonna suck. They could've easily moved those features to second disk, put a DTS track on the first with a commentary track.

It's kinda a dissapointing release.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Yeah...I was kinda hoping for a longer cut of the movie as I seem to remember reading some sort of discussion about it being on the DVD release, but I guess that plan was Paramounted....

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: on no Dir Cut:frowning: WTF???

I would liked to have seen those scenes in the movie especially how they added to the emotion of it being the last TNG movie (Like Riker and Troy on the Titan, Riker has the new No1 call Picard Jean Luc as a joke before he leaves,etc)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Just 7 deleted scenes? John Logan said there was nearly an HOUR of completed, usable footage that everyone was disappointed had to be dropped -- not just the usual superflous "deleted scenes" we see on most DVDs.

That these aren't being incorporated back into the film....well, it's Paramount, what else is new?? :angry:

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Well, I think it's a pretty good release from the looks of things. I can't believe that a lot of people were actually expecting an extended cut. The director said months ago that his theatrical version was his director's cut and Paramount is hardly gonna go spending money reintigrating footage into a big budget film that couldn't beat Maid in Manhattan at the boxoffice ;) Still, I guess it leaves room for a possible special edition release further down the line...fingers crossed that the featurettes aren't just fluffy 2 minute things though!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1. I thought I read somewhere that the director (Stuart Baird?) said that the version in theaters was his "director's cut" and he was happy with it?

2. Paramount has been putting out dual pan-and-scan and widescreen releases for a while now. "Grease" and "Serving Sara" are two titles that jump to mind.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I suspect they don't want to make the extras too generous, for when their 2-disc SE's catch up.

On the other hand, they know we know they'll bring out a 2-discer sometime, so they had to put in a few deleted scenes and a commentary to entice casual fans.

But we know they know we know that, and now they know we know etc. Ah well. If it doesn't have a bilingual Canadian cover I'll probably buy it.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that a lot of people were actually expecting an extended cut.
I wouldn't have, either (especially knowing Paramount), except for the fact that Logan and others specifically discussed it before the movie was even released. He did a TV Guide interview where he discussed the various deleted scenes and how everyone lamented that they had to go in order to facilitate the running time. He also promised that they'd be on the DVD, which seems like it's partially (at least) not going to happen.

As much as Baird was the director of the film, I'm sure Rick Berman had as much say in the "final cut." After all, the Trek movies are hardly a one-auteur show...which is also part of their problem, too!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
That these aren't being incorporated back into the film
There is a high probability that some of these scenes contained Wesley. Are your memories so fickle? Can you not remember the bowel-shrivelling awfulness that was a Wesley-centred episode? How could any of you want an extended movie if it had *Wesley* in it?

Sorry, I've had a trying day ...

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The Studio we could count on for OAR is now joining the lowest common denominator Sad Paramount.
Oh, please! This is absolutely absurd.

Nemesis is certainly not the first release from Paramount with dual widescreen and full-screen presentations, either on the same disc (The Rugrats Movie) or in separate releases (Grease and others). But those releases still are only a relative handful of the Paramount catalog compared with other studios.

The fact that there is *always* a widescreen option from Paramount means that it still is the studio we can count on for OAR.

Talk about complaining just to complain...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Intead of puttin gthe money and resources into a P&S version, they should have made a Dir Cut instead.
Especially since the older releases have been rereleased as Dir Cuts.

If you release a P&S version, ur supporting P&S - thats my opinion anyway.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Intead of puttin gthe money and resources into a P&S version, they should have made a Dir Cut instead.
Since they were already producing a P&S VHS, I'm sure it cost them very little.

Also, who cares as long as a widescreen disc comes out? It's not like they said, "OK, director's cut or P&S?" The director and creative team didn't WANT to do another cut.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Agreed. A 2 disc set will be out in the future when they re-release this title most likey.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Okay--I'll bite. I put off any of the original cast films on their initial form, expecting the SE's to come (in fact, my wife just called me here at work to inform me ST IV just arrived in the mail). But I'm too anxious to see those few precious scenes. Sign me up for May 20.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Name one Paramount DVD that's ONLY available as pan and scan. They remain the studio most committed to OAR presentations - just because they've offered the OPTION of P&S for some discs doesn't change that. Sometimes I think some people like to pile on Paramount despite the facts...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, this is unfair criticism of Paramount, people. Lord knows I am not one to mince words if I feel a studio is mistreating us, the customers. But:

1) Any HTF member who was interested in this release should have seen the myriad threads that discussed it, and all the posts indicating it would NOT have more than a few deleted scenes available separately. Noone should be surprised that the entire hour's worth of cut stuff isn't on this release.

2) Anyone could be called "nuts" if they didn't think that there will be a second release later on, a 2-disc SE. Follow the release patterns for every other Trek film!

3) Paramount, as others have said, is putting out both versions on DVD: Full- and Wide-screen. Noone should complain that a wider choice is available for those who "don't get it".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks