Details: Mystic River

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TomWoodward, Mar 29, 2004.

1. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

Here's one I know a lot of people have been looking forward to. Warner have announced Mystic River for the 8th June. It will be available in both a 3 disc special edition and a single disc movie only release. Each of these will carry a 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation and both English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. As well as disc three containing the films soundtrack, extras on the special edition will include an audio commentary by Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon, two documentaries as well as three interviews with Clint Eastwood, Tim Robins and Kevin Bacon. The third disc will be comprised of the films soundtrack. Retail will be around $39.98. The movie only release on the other hand will set you back around $27.95 in total. Artwork for the special edition is below, and the single disc artwork is over on our site:

[​IMG]

2. PaulP

PaulP Producer

So why is the non-soundtrack version only a single-disc version, and doesn't have both DVD discs? I personally don't need a CD, but would like a 2-disc set.

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

What? No fullscreen version!? EGADS! What is happening when Warner puts out a new movie not in full screen?

Bad attempt at humor there. I am also baffled that the movie only version wont have the second disc of extras. This seems to be a trend that I dont like. A movie only version that is cheap as hell first week, and a nice special edition that is ridiculous ammount more the same day, when if it was only the special edition it would be cheap in the first place.(Texas Chainsaw, Master and Commander, Red Dragon, now this.)

4. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

Strange release - I would have thought a 2 disk set at 27 dollars would do very well. I doubt I'll buy the 3 disk at that price - I'll wait a while for a price drop.

I've noticed an increase in prices for special editions - eg Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Panic Room and now this.
    Hope this isn't a trend.

5. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Well Panic Room offers a 3rd disc chock-full of extras, not a useless CD. Really a cheap move by WB.

6. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Tom, just a note on a spelling error on your website in the first sentence (and the sixth line). "Robbins" in Tim Robbins has two "b"s. [​IMG]

7. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

8. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I'll definately pick up the 3-disc. One of the best films of 2003, and deserving of its two Oscar wins. The cover art too I'm happy to see is nicely done sticking close to the poster art. Even the Academy taglien at the bottom is well done with very nice font. [​IMG]

9. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

Thanks for the heads up Tom, that's what happens when I have to type under pressure [​IMG]

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

davisdvd.com says there will be a single-disc Full Screen version.

11. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

Yep, there's a full screen edition as well but I didn't see much point in mentioning that [​IMG]

12. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Damn....I was getting my hopes up for a lack of Foolscreen so on release day I dont have to spend half my shift at work telling people to put it back on the shelf and get the OAR version....now that means more work for me! hahah.

13. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I will probably purchase the three disc version since it has some extra DVD content, unlike other titles like Schindler's List. I have no desire to have the soundtrack CD, which is pretty useless.

I also want to avoid the snapper case, but digipaks are not much better (cardboard packaging in general is horrible in my opinion.)

14. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I'll be getting the 3 disc version. One of the best (if not THE best) movies of 2003.

15. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I'm very happy to see that hte (possibly) best movie of last year is getting something better than a snapper. I can sleep now. The banner on top is kinda fugly though. They should have the same banner as the two-disc special editions, but write 3-disc special edition instead. THAT would be nice and classy.

16. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I'm a bit annoyed that you have the buy the soundtrack if you want the extra DVD, however not annoyed enough to only buy the single disc version. [​IMG]
    I haven't seen the film (it didn't show in English in my local cinemas), but I love Eastwood's work and I'm very certain that I'll love this film.

Chris

17. Mike.B

Mike.B Stunt Coordinator

This is great news! I can't wait.

18. RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming Stunt Coordinator

It seems a little bit pointless to release a single disk version & a 2 Disk + Cd Soundtrack version at the same time.

If we wanted the soundtrack of the film we would by it seperate from the damn movie. (not going to carry a dvd around in the car to listen to the score)

Lose the soundtrack....forget the single disked versions and just release a nice 2 disk special edition warner. and with the 10 bucks or so that hiked up the price of the 2 disk dvd gone you can be damn sure it would sell better.

19. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

You know, I really enjoyed this movie in the theater, and I would prefer the SE, but talk about a markup! I ended up with the single disc Master & Commander (which I have yet to see) for $10 after rebate from FYE - a good deal.

I really don't like this recent trend of paying an extra $10 to have special features. We may buy neither of them.

20. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    DVDSoon.com has the 3 discer for the same price as the single disc edition! Currently that's $28.98 CAD incl. shipping. Mind you, that's Canadian $$. Certainly made my buying decision a lot easier.

Chris