1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Details about Proceed AVP upgrade are up.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert A. Willis Jr., Aug 24, 2001.

1. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

2. rajiv

rajiv Stunt Coordinator

Robert,
    Thanks very much for the link. I'm glad that I bought the AVP, a processor thats been around since 1998, because its so modular that it can be upgraded. With the new upgrades it looks like the AVP will be at the top of the heap of "affordable" processors at $6500. To existing AVP owners, the AVP upgrade will be "only" $1500. Madrigal's support to the customer has been very good.
    By the way, all of my questions with the AVP have been answered and I have the firmware updates as of 5/25/01. Thanks again Robert.
    Rajiv...

3. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Rajiv,
    Sorry but being on vacation meant doing a lot of unexpected things with the family (good fun things).
    Bob Willis

4. Dean M

Dean M Agent

Did you notice that is actually two separate upgrades. There is a standard upgrade and then a separate hardware upgrade for DVD-A and multichannel SACD. Seems to me that any AVP owner that would want the standard upgrade (32-bit Sharc DACs, software etc.) wouldn't they also want the six channel input anyway? I can'T wait to see what the total cost of this one is; especially considering that the PMDT/PVP upgrade is another $1500 on top it's already exorbitant price. Personally, I think the PMDT should have been priced a little cheaper until a progressive scan/multichannel audio was available.
    Don't get me wrong the AVP is a beautiful unit and it is much simpler to use than the Denon 5800 that I have in my living room (at least then manual is written in proper English).
    -------------------------------------------------------
    HT... crack for the educated!

5. Robert A. Willis Jr.

It appears that Madrigal is loath to toss in the 5 or 6 channel inputs necessary for today's SACD or DVD-A players. I don't believe they want to use the real estate if digital streaming can be seen somewhere on the horizon (this is sheer speculation). Madrigal has always preferred the transport/processor architecture as opposed to single units. However, they do bend with the wind and have produced a number of exceptional players.
    I too would like to see how much both upgrades will be and what the ramifications will be if you purchased both.
    Did you notice that there was a mention of a possible proprietory digital (multichannel) input, something like what Meridian now has. Does that mean that you would have to purchase a PDMT?
    rw

6. rajiv

rajiv Stunt Coordinator

The way I understood it, from Madrigal and my dealer, was the new AVP-II with all the H/W & S/W goodies will cost $6500. To upgrade the existing AVP with all options was going to be about $1500. I'll be calling Madrigal this week and try to get clarification from them about the cost for a full upgrade with all options and post back into this thread.
    I asked Madrigal about the type of connectors for the new inputs/outputs for the additional channels and they will be all RCA connectors. No new additional XLR balanced connectors for the AVP. I was disappointed because I noticed a slight improvement using XLR balanced cables for my front three channels.
    My interpretation of the digital interface was, if an industry standard is developed for digitally passing full bandwidth SACD and DVD-A data, then Madrigal may implement it on the AVP, using digital encryption for copyright protection. If there is no industry standard, then Madrigal may implement its own proprietary standard that incorporated copyright protection. This means the PMDT and Mark Levinson CD & DVD players would have this interface. Note that there are no Mark Levinson DVD players at this time, but with the new ML No. 40 surround processor who knows what the future holds.
    Overall the AVP is a great unit and will continue to be for the forseable future, but its not cheap at $6500. The AVP is quirky as a unit, but most of the bugs have been worked out with the latest firmware upgrade. The reason most people put up with it is, the unit is fantastic for two-channel stereo. Its really a surround processor for audiophiles. What bothers me about Madrigal are their reliability issues. It seems their quality control is not as good as Japanese companies, but unfortunately the Japanese companies don't produce the type of product that sounds as good as the Madrigal stuff.
    Rajiv...

7. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Thanks Rajiv. So far I've owned about 6 Madrigal pieces over the past 10 years and had no hardware failures. The AVP had some software issues that were handled by quick and painless updates. I did take my AVP in to get the PHAST update as I have one of the very early models.
    re