What's new

Detailed analysis of TPM DVD bass (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I know Ron tied the page link to the existing thread..but I figured a lot of people might miss it in there...
here's the THX INTRO in 3-D
Link Removed
you can see the tell-tale THX reverse sweeps near the bottom...down to 18hz this time(THX used to stop at 33-35hz).
-------
here's the same thing in a *spectogram* view.If you look closely...you can see the reverse sweeping toward the right of the specto-view.
Link Removed
-------
Further info/scenes can be found on this page...
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/tpmbasscharts.htm
TV

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tom, great info. Despite the ongoing arguments about the DVD vs laserdisk it's clear that this soundtrack is amazing.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I didnt know there was a debate about the SQ of the discs.
the DVD was recorded at -4dBFS(where it should be)...was the LD?
btw---I just watched a DVD recorded at -1...I think it was the Mexican...I wonder why they did that?
TV

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
The bass quality of this disc IMO is one of the best; in fact,one of the smoothest deep bass recordings I have heard in D.D. I thought the dialogue channel was a little on the low side. I did however feel that the D.D. overall sound was probably the cleanest that I have heard not to be mistaken for briteness. Outstanding dynamic range too.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the great info Tom. I don't have this DVD yet but am considering it, for demo purposes alone!
------------------
Scott

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I see all the LD/DVD hubbub now.(i dont get to the software forum near as much as I would like...)
the DVD sounds fine to me,
TV

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Tom. Nice charts, too! I could see the Samson's 3rd light barely flickering; the first two were basically "full-on"...! Good thing the third one didn't go full-out, too...
Do you have an LD player? It would be fun if you did the same with the LD. It is by all accounts reference material. Just for comparison - say, the fish hitting, and the explosion, one off the LD, one off the DVD.
Mike

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Cmon Bjoern, its almost 11am central time
smile.gif

------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I dont have the LD(i borrowed it from a friend long ago to measure...but sent it back a few days later.)
Bjoern's data is sure to be conclusive though...he really does some nice work with spectra.
TV

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Cool, Bjoern! Look forward to seeing that chart!
Another one that might be interesting - subwoofer levels vs center channel, both DVD and LD, same chart. It ought to answer conclusively any issues with the LD being mastered "hot" or whatever...!
Mike

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I know with my twin SVS 20-39CS subs at ref. my HT was a shak'in!!!
I loved the S.T. but do not have LD and would not really care to compare as I am quite happy with the video and sound (though they could have lost the edge enhancement).
Thanks for the graph Tom! I really enjoyed the THX logo as that was the first time I had seen it! And thanks for the twin SVS subs as it is great to be able to listen to bass at ref level and de-rail freight trains that run next to my house!!! (that will teach them!
wink.gif
)
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Sorry for the delay, folks. I know a lot of you were anticipating this for several days now. Although i had a tide schedule, i always felt the chilling breath back down my spine. I tried to keep it short, but heck, who am i trying to fool here, you know me by now
wink.gif

Go to my homepage (signature) -> 'SPL Measurement' -> 'TPM'.
This is about sound only, there is already another thread were my picture review is discussed.
Have fun.
------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
Bjoern's Place (my HT in action, DVD reviews, SPL measurements...) | 'Edge Enhancement' Guide

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Just read it, and it explained a number of the items I noticed as well.
Very nice, and very detailed, Bjoern.
I agree with your conclusions about the DVD - and the overall smoothness of it compared to the LD, which I also own.
Thank you very much!
Mike

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks Bjoern!
Your findings jibe with my impressions.
I find the DVD to have a better defined soundstage because of the better channel separation. This is probably due to the higher bitrate employed by the DVD. I own the LD as well.
It's also nice to know that my setup can handle this soundtrack without having to make any changes to the speaker balances. Dialogue is very clear and well-integrated with the rest of the soundtrack on my setup. Link Removed
Still the decision to record the soundtrack at a lower level than normal is an odd one.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup
[Edited last by Lou Sytsma on October 19, 2001 at 09:07 PM]

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I wonder if the decision to record the soundtrack at a lower volume has anything to do with preserving headroom. This is an extremely dynamic movie, as the sound can jump from whisper-quiet to thunderous. If it was recorded much hotter, more audio compression would be required and it would lose much dynamic range.
I see this trend happening with CDs, as everyone wants their album to be louder. Consequently, we don't have half the headroom as releases ten years ago.

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how the THX Optimode feature factors in on this disc. If you set your levels to reference with this utility, is the DVD still lower or does it match the LD more closely?
I set levels at 75 db in Optimode and almost lost a couple of windows during the podrace. I'd hate to hear it 8-9 db louder.
~Crowe~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks