destination: Phoenix, AZ w/my 11yr old daughter - what are the "must sees" ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kirk Gunn, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I know I should have posted this earlier, but time slips away..... we are going to Phoenix for a few days and staying at the Hilton - Squaw Peak Resort. I've never been to AZ, so I'm clueless what I can do with my 11yr old daughter. We are not getting a car, so activities close to the hotel are preferred.

Any suggestions are appreciated !
    Thanks

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Kirk, you say you've never been to AZ and want to do things close by but I would implore you to find some sort of way to get to the Grand Canyon. It is truly an amazing sight to see. I remember thinking to myself that my eyes could not take in the wonder that you see. I have 2 kids (they were 8 and 5 at the time)and to this day they say this was their favorite vacation which is saying alot as they have been to both Disneys. If you are able to do this, you should also make sure on your way back to Phoenix to stop in Sedona to see the sunset. Truly amazing! Sorry I couldn't help with around the hotel activities but maybe some of the locals can help with that.

3. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Thanks Tommy - how far a drive is it to the Canyon from Phoenix ? (yes, I'm ashamed my geography is that bad...)

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Sedona and the Grand Canyon are absoloute must visits. Not much to do in Pheonix except look at the cacti and shop.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Phoenix Airport to Grand Canyon Village Visitor Ctr. (south rim) is 236 miles (approx 4 hrs, 15 min.)
    Beautiful ride ... passes very close to Sedona and through Flagstaff

6. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Kirk:

When are you going to be in town? What are your/her interests? Both would help in giving suggestions.

7. Mark Fontana

Mark Fontana Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa would be a fun family place to go for dinner. A description of it from another web site:

8. Mike JL

Mike JL Extra

Strongly encourage a drive to Sedona (Red Rock area). Absolutely beautiful and unlike anything you're likely to see anywhere else in the country. It's about 115 miles from Phoenix, straight up I-17.