What's new

Despicable Me 2 - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The sequel to "Depicable Me" is here, and it's a worthy follow-up, mainly due to its humor and heart from Gru and the 3 girls he's raising. And then you have the hilarious Minions, I'm a big fans of the Minions. They added a female interest (voiced by Kristen Wiig), paired up to help Gru deal with a villainous threat that leads them to go through suspects at a mall.

The 3D was good (with Gru's nose, it's always a prominent bit of 3D, and the fun with the Minions also lends itself to 3D).

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw it yesterday and thought it was... okay. Which is about how I felt about the first one. Some decent moments but a bit slow and not a lot of laughs...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
I can watch 2 hours of the minions just chatting about. I love them.
I gotta admit indifference to the Minions. I feel like I should be delighted by them - but I'm not. Don't dislike 'em, but I just never feel as amused by them as I think I should.

That's essentially how I feel about both movies. I wrote this in my review of the first one, and I still feel this way:

"While the flick does occasionally deliver laughs, an awful lot of it falls flat. Little about it truly engages. Much of the material strikes me as though it should be funny, but something’s missing. Though the results kept me reasonably entertained, I usually found myself just a wee bit on the bored side.

And for the life of me, I can’t say why. Even the Minions – the film’s breakout characters – don’t do a whole lot for me. They feel like they should be wacky and original, but instead, they’re just kind of… meh. "

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
We saw this on July 4th and enjoyed it. The addition of the Kirsten Wiig character was fun and yes there were bananas :banana:

There was a reoccurring joke of a neighbor trying to set him up with her crazy friends that was pretty funny.

The film is worth seeing in 3D as there were some really good gags. Much like the first one, the credits scene was lots of fun, so if you do see it in 3D stay until the three minions end up in the audience.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Despicable Me 2 is a lazy movie and wholly mediocre. It's mildly entertaining with a few good laughs. But mostly it replays all the jokes of the excellent original with none of the excitement. The root weakness is it's boring, saved from complete tedium by the minions.Five year olds will love it. But they'd love 90 min of fartgun jokes.It's fine for an inoffensive weekend movie. You know you're going to see it, so I won't recommend otherwise. But we deserve better than this and so does Gru.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I LOVED the first one, and now I LOVE the second. The minions totally steal the show, but the Gru and 3 girls plot line is very good too. They're apparently making a minions movie and I'll definitely look forward to that (ditto to the comment that I could watch those little guys for 2 hours straight just talking), but I would like to see them to keep making movies with Gru and the 3 girls also. I really do like all the non-minion characters.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DaveF said:
Despicable Me 2 is a lazy movie and wholly mediocre. It's mildly entertaining with a few good laughs. But mostly it replays all the jokes of the excellent original with none of the excitement.The root weakness is it's boring, saved from complete tedium by the minions.Five year olds will love it. But they'd love 90 min of fartgun jokes.It's fine for an inoffensive weekend movie. You know you're going to see it, so I won't recommend otherwise. But we deserve better than this and so does Gru.
This is what my wife and I thought too. The minions are cute fun, but they don't advance any plot or really do much outside of babble which is cute.. but if you shortened the moments of just minions babbling, you'd have a 30 minute animated short.

This isn't a bad film, it's just not a particularly good one. I also found the romance angle to be very forced.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
What I like most about the minions' babbling, is that even though you don't know more that maybe 5% of what they're saying EXACTLY, you some how never feel like out of the loop per se. I think a lot of talent goes into the minion dialogue.

Afiger

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I'm not a big sequel fan, but I have been mulling over whether I want to see this one of not. I loved the original, which is why I'm on the fence. I think I will wait for it to hit DVD before I try it out though as I'm pretty sure I'll be disappointed.

Real Name
Robert Smith
Its an awesome animated movie. Best to watch in 3d, Full comedy and great animation work done in this movie.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I liked it well enough but it suffered from what I was expecting. The girls were an organic part of the story in the first one but were not in the second one so we got stuck with scenes where the girls were showcased being cute/funny but pointlessly. Unfortunately it was also true of the minions. Maybe half of the movie was about the main plot and the rest of it just stuffed in to show funny things. If they could have taken this script and worked on it for another 3 months trying to better connect all the scenes in a more natural progression of the story then it would have been awesome instead of just good to okay.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Loved it and love the minions, as you can tell by my avatar. The more minions, the merrier..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks