What's new

Desperately trying to find a place for vacation in Dec in CA with a 10mo old. (1 Viewer)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
We have a ten month old and plan to take a vacation sometime around xmas (either the week before or after), but we've been killing ourself trying to figure out where we can go during that cool/cold month with a 10mo old.

Background:

From 96-98, went to Dislandland and Universal Studio many times, plus SD zoo.

2 yrs ago went to Yosemite.

3 yrs ago, went to Grand Canyon.

We love outdoors and that would be our first choice. We also prefer to drive and be in CA.

Our limitation now is that we have a baby and that it's in December where outdoor attraction might not be the best choice.

Any idea. Being a Californian for 15yrs living in the Bay Area, I haven't taken much vacation and knows very little about vacation places. Thoughts, ideas, opinions? Help! Thanks.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Tough one, hard to know what may appeal to you. Though I live in FL now I grew up in norther CA so I know the area well.

My first thought is to get a cabin in the sierra nevadas. Tahoe can be expensive but there is skiing. The ski resorts used to provide day-care but I'm not sure they still do. Even if you are not into skiing there is much to do there - just get further out from the ski areas and it is cheaper. Babys first snow can be fun, there are horseback trails and rentals, snowmobiles, just plain relaxing (by a fire or hot tub!)

Or you could try Napa for some high quality wine tasting. I would suggest spending some $ and getting a limo. It is safer than driving, easier, and the driver can take you to places you may not otherwise find. There is also the wine train.

About 70 miles north of SF there are some very small ocean side towns that can be quite charming. I used to go to Sea Ranch and Gualala annually. Also try Ft Bragg. Very artsy community with some beautiful vistas for hikes and lovely homes you can rent. Try Google searching 'Rams Head Reality'.

Or you go head south for some warmer weather in Palm Springs. Can you say 'Golf?'

I would suggest SF, but I guess living there you get enough of that.

A real fun place to visit is Santa Cruz. It can be a bit cold, but there is lots to do at the Boardwalk - who knows, you may get lucky and catch a warm spell! It is where 'Lost Boys' was filmed and is the premise/location for the Nickelodeon cartoon 'Rocket Power'.

Most of that ins North State, I really avoided SoCAl as much as I could.

Good luck and have fun.

(BTW - there is a really nice x-mas tree farm in Oakdale where you can take your kid to chop down a christmas tree in the future. It is about a 1 hr or so drive.)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
About 70 miles north of SF there are some very small ocean side towns that can be quite charming. I used to go to Sea Ranch and Gualala annually. Also try Ft Bragg. Very artsy community with some beautiful vistas for hikes and lovely homes you can rent. Try Google searching 'Rams Head Reality'.
This is worth looking into :).

Don't ski and would prefer to avoid going anywhere that might require snowchains. Our baby is pretty difficult so there's no such thing as a day care that can handle her :D. We're hoping that she can behave riding in the car. She usually cries as if the world is ending whenever she's in a car longer than 15min.

I like southern California a lot. Anything to do in Palm Spring?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Glad to hear you'll be checking on my old sea-side vacation spots.

I gotta put in a plug for the sierras again though. Being in FL I miss the snow terribly. Much time in the winter you don't need chains (except when it is actually snowing). Typically the temp is warm enough that the roads are clear of ice. Call ahead to find out. Skiing isn't all there is to do. Snow play is fun and sledding is something the family can do. I really really miss it. My kids have no idea what snow is...

I can't say much about Palm springs other than golf. I never went but many friends of mine did.

You really oughta consider care for the chile so you and mom can get away for at least a few hours of grown-up time wherever you go. It is called 'spousal maintenance' or a 'marriage preservation break'. There are many safe options for this.

Best of luck. Let us know where you go and how it turns out!

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
go down to Big Sur, see the california coast, visit hurst's castle, and just go around monterrey to pebble beach....

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Dustin,
We were thinking about a vacation to SF around February, we have done the Disney Land/Universal thing many times with the kids (4 Boys) but wanted to try somewhere different. Would the weather be bad that time of year? What are some cool things that would keep the boys (ages 5-12) interested there where you live?
Are there any good amusement parts? Where would we want to stay hotel, motel wise? We would drive out from Salt Lake!

Thanks,
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks