Desperately Seeking Sucker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete Gitta, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Pete Gitta

Pete Gitta Auditioning

There's an E-Bayer I've noticed listing and relisting a Sharp XV-100 at a starting bid of $999.00 with a "Buy it now" price of $1099.00!

Of course, no one's bidding, but eventually some poor ignorant shmuck is gonna bite.

How some people sleep at night.

90 Lumens

350 X 280 resolution

100:1 contrast ratio

only $1099.00

2. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Sounds like my ZW99.
    [​IMG]
    Just kidding. I'm glad I got rid of it though.

3. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Thankfully most people buying A/V on ebay do their homework. I was surprised when Sony V6 headphones were not selling at $80 a piece. Thay are very good but if you are paying shipping why not buy from a real shop and pay less.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I love the guy who's selling those lenses that make your "standard television into a projection television!"

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jeff, I think there are a couple of them selling these.
    One of them, username classiccarinternational, is actually using direct fraud to sell them.
    He posts some images in his auction, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1712510348, where he claims All the following images were taken with a disposable camera. The images were taken at the sitting position about 10 feet from the screen. No image processing was done on the images. The full resolution images were jpeg compressed using a minimal compression value. These pictures are straight from the camera.
    The thing is, two of the screen images are taken from forum member Robert A Fowkes's site about his home theater, and they are projected by a Sony VW10HT projector (see the pictures here and here).
    Now that I think of it, maybe I should have contacted RAF about this. I don't know if eBay would even care, I'm sure they have worse fraud to deal with.
    /mike

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm emailing RAF about that, not that it'll probably do much good, the guy will just get a new credit card and a new user name and be right back at it.

Sigh

7. Tom Sims

Tom Sims Auditioning

Ha! You think Ebay is bad, go check out Ubid.com There are many who will sell you a Sony 11HT for only $2400.00. All you have to do is wire transfer the money to Europe and your projector will be on it's way to you. They will even pay the shipping. Does that sound too good to be true?