Desperately Seeking Statistics - HDTV vs. Standard Def

Bishop2

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Does anyone know any statistics on how many owners there are of HDTV versus standard def? I'm trying to figure out what the percentage of HDTV users is out of all TV owners, and I figured someone on here might have the hook-up for that information.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yeah there are stats on this, I would probably google around for it, I'm sure places like nielsen or others have quantified this. I know I've seen many stats about this before.

Bishop2

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
I tried Googling for it - that's precisely the problem. I can't seem to find anything giving me the numbers I'm looking for. Just a lot of promotional pages for HDTVs and the like. Very frustrating. Hence the fact that I was hoping someone around here might know.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
No matter the stats,it's wild that (supposedly) the majority of hdtv buyers plug in, turn on, and think that they're now watching high def! No card, box or tuner required.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Googled "HDTV penetration". First article says there are 110 million tv households with apx 20 million hdtvs sold.

captaincrash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
This article says....

http://www.instat.com/press.asp?Sku=...204MBS&ID=1728

... that at mid 2006 we had 15 million households with an HDTV set and HD service. By the end of 2006 this was projected to rise to 20.3 million. Remarkable. Also, note that this is a GLOBAL figure. 91% of all HDTV households are in the USA and Japan with the next leading countries being Canada, Australia and South Korea.

BY 2009 the figure is expected to hit 55 million HDTV households world wide.

I amused to see they say 1/3rd of households in the USA with an HDTV set are using their set to view HDTV programming. Conversely 2/3rd with an HDTV set view NO HDTV content... as previously mentioned.

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin
Here's some good data if thats what your interested in. A pretty credible outfit. Some well known companies/execs use this group's data in their quarterly projections or announcements.

iSuppli

Do a search on HDTV.

(I couldn't post a link having

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

How's this?
iSuppli. But I don't see anything very helpful to suggest where the market is now, mostly older stuff or narrowly-focused reports dated 2006.

BTW, even before you're 10th post you can enter a URL in the body of an e-mail, if I'm not mistaken. The board won't convert it to a clickable link, but others would be able to copy and past it.

Regards,

Joe

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canzpainremoverus