What's new

Desperately need advice/HELP on current system. (1 Viewer)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for some feedback and advice on Def Tech PM200’s. I have the Def Tech SM 350’s, I like them, but after I bought them I started calculating how much it would cost to put together a matching 5.1 setup. I am currently using them in phantom mode with no CC. They sound great. However, everybody always says you don’t know what you are missing without a CC. Well the matching CC is the CLR 2500, Cha-Ching. There is also a space limitation for my CC. It must fit on top of a Sony 32” Trinitron. I also planned on moving the SM 350’s for surrounds, but my wife says, no way, they are to big. I was going to buy the SM 450s or PM 700s for mains. Cha-Ching, Cha-Ching, Cha-Ching.

Anyway, here is my dilemma. I am thinking of downgrading to the PM200s and timber matching the PM’s all the way around with a C-2 and PM100s for surrounds. My questions to the owners, or anybody else, are:

1. Do the PM 200 image well enough to run them in phantom center for a while?
2. Do the PM 200 overpower the C-2 center channel?
3. Will I miss the detailed sound of the SM 350s
4. Should I bother downgrading or just have a semi-matched system?
(C-2 CC with PM 100s)
5. Should I move away from Def Tech all together?
6. Punt

I thought of going with JBL S-26’s and an S-Center up front. However, I could not timber match the surround due to the size of the S-26. If only they made an S-24.

My wife constantly reminds me that she was perfectly happy with the Aiwa, and the current system is just fine. Current system is Yamaha RX-V530, SM350s, HTD Level 1’s for surrounds, cheap 8” Aiwa Sub 60W, and no CC. Obviously I am not happy, but I want to keep the system costs low. My local Def Tech dealer has a speaker sale coming up. That’s why I was thinking of selling the SM350 and buying the PM200 when they go on sale. I will loose about $125 retail, but should break even if I can get about $375 for the SM350s.

Help, I need advice. I am driving me and my wife nuts. Will I ever be happy with any setup? I have got the upgrade fever I read about on this board. Sorry for the book.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
To be honest, you may like the sound better without a center channel especially if you like the sound and imaging of your current speakers. IMO, the center is only for anchoring dialog to the center of the stage when someone sits outside the sweet spot. I wouldn't downgrade anything just to get a center speaker. If you need to have a good center image for a large seating area, just wait until you can afford to get a good center speaker. All in my opinion of course, others will think differently.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your thoughts. I was listening to them again and they do sound good. I actually have the TV viewing area set up on the short distance of a rectangle. My wife wants to keep an open area. So the TV is only 10' away from the main viewing area. The speakers set on each side of the TV which puts them about 4' apart. They seem to image very well as a phantom center at that distance. However, I am sure I am supposed to have them wider apart, but they might not image as well. I really don't want to down grade, I like the detailed natural sound of the
SM 350s.

Anybody else have any thoughts.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
IMO, you should try and move them farther apart and way from other room surfaces (8 or so feet apart would be the usual recommendation). I really doubt they will lose the center image if they are less than 10 feet apart. This is just in my experience, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks