Desperate! Please help with XP recycle bin problems

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael Pedrosa, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Michael Pedrosa

Can someone please help? Admittedly, this is not a home theater question but I've tried everything and can't fix my problem. I've looked on Microsoft's support page, tried other "computer" forums, but found nothing. So I'm back to a trusted and helpful forum.

The problem: My recycle bin exceeds the size that I set in the properties box. No matter what I set (even 0%), the recycle bin just holds on to all the files until I manually go in there and clean them out. I work with large numbers of large files so that I should quickly "fill" the bin and older files should automatically be purged; but that doesn't happen.
    I've tried some of Microsoft's suggestions (deleting the info file, deleting the recycled directory) but they haven't resolved anything. I have Norton Utilities installed but have verified that the Norton Protect feature is off (the problem started long after installing Norton, anyway).
    I'm using Windows XP,regularly "auto-updated." Other than Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm, there are no background programs running. I do not use any undelete or disk imaging software.
    Any ideas?

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

How large is your hard drive?

Although you can set your bin to zero I don't think XP can actually do that. I wouldn't be suprised if the only way you could do that would be to do a permanent delete with every file.

Brent
    P.s. hold down the SHIFT key to permanently delete something . In the properties page for the bin you have the option to permanently delete everything without it ever going into the bin.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I think I remember reading a few solutions to your problems at www.tweakxp.com . You may want to check them out.

4. Michael Pedrosa

Brent,
    I don't want to set my recycle bin to 0% or to bypass it and permanently delete everything. I want to use it but it needs to stay at the size I set.
    I have two hard drives - 40gb and 80gb (and the problem is still there whether I use individual or global size settings).

Todd,
    Any specific memory of where to find that info? I searched their forum but couldn't come up with it.

Thanks to both you guys.