Desperate help needed! Sony WEGA problem!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_M_M, May 13, 2002.

1. Kevin_M_M

Kevin_M_M Stunt Coordinator

I'm less versed in equipment HTF language than I am in DVD language, so I may have trouble explainging this.

I have a SONY WEGA I bought in September. Slowly, something has been bothering me more and more that has culminated in almost complete frustration and distraction while I'm trying to enjoy Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season 2.

I've got a faint discoloration line traveling left to right across my screen over and over on my brand new flat screen TV. WHY?

Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I need to junk it now?

How do I prevent this from happening to my next television?

Thanks for any help you guys may have!

2. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

The problem you describe sounds like it could be the wega color banding problem. I have a wega and had the same issue but it is easily fixable from the service menu. I'm trying to find a link right now that references how to fix it becase it has been a while since I made the changes to mine.

I believe it was the HOSC setting in the service menu if I remember correctly. If it is the same problem as what I had on my set, when you see these bands of colors when watching a DVD and you pause the player they stay on the screen. What I did to fix them is simply pause the DVD at a spot that showed them on the screen the worst. Then went into the service menu and adjusted the HOSC setting until they were gone. On my set I had to lower the setting from about 14 to about 12, but again I am going from memory right now.

Anyway, if I find a link I'll post it, otherwise try doing a search for Wega color banding fix.

3. Kevin_M_M

Kevin_M_M Stunt Coordinator

its nothing to do with the way i have the television connected is it?

im using the s-video cable from my dvd to my wega right now. i found this had better picture than with composite cables.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Of course an S-video connection will give you a better picture than composite. Why not fork over some dough for a decent set of component-video cables? On a WEGA, you'll notice the improvement. Settle only for the best.

Which model WEGA, by the way?