What's new

Desparetely need help with sub placement! (1 Viewer)

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Im soo close to giving up here :frowning:
I have a rectangle shaper lounge with tv against a wall at the front, Monitor 7's spaced perfectely either side with about 2 meters from the corner. I'm using a Sony SW40 with a Yammy rx496 amp. All speakers are set to small, and LFE to SW.
So far i've tried both left and right corners and in sitting position the bass is kinda then..tho nearly alright..but if i stand up..its like DAMN! where did all THAT bass come from! I then tried moving against the side walls facing inwards...this still didnt make a difference. In my listening position there just isnt half the bass there is like when i stand up. ANy ideas? Its getting on my nerves bad. I have crossover set to about 100hz too.
Thanks

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
The first thing that I would check is the phase setting on the sub. Experiment to see if changing the phase causes the signal to stablilize.

The next thing that I would try is to rotate the sub. The driver of your sub is front-facing. Try facing it toward any of the barriers (walls) to see if the response evens out. It is clear that you have a room response null at your seating height. Experimenting with the placement and orientation (after you work on the phase setting) will probably help.

There is a trick that many folks use to place their sub. Put the sub on your sofa/chair at the listening position. Then play a SW test tone and crawl around your room until you find the spot where the bass is loudest. This is the place to put your sub.

My final advice is to re-examine your crossover decision. If you are using the sub pre-amp out from your receiver to the sub (RCA cable), then the crossover setting is being handled by the receiver. That is what setting your speakers to 'small' means. The receiver sets a crossover of about 80hz. Therefore, the crossover on the sub is redundant and can introduce some nasty interactions. Your sub crossover should be set to its highest point.

Just my $.02

David

Tim O...

Stunt Coordinator
Is your HT in the basement? I had the same problem in a basement room. I still have stronger response about 3 feet above LP, but I got better and flatter response at the LP by facing my down-firing sub toward the TV, and raising it about 24" off the floor. You should definitely try different driver orientations, and try even raising it off the floor.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
thanks guys ill definately try out the tips. One thing though Dave..you mentioned the crossover being redundant if i have speakers set to small, but turning the crossover to its highest (150hz)on the sub def makes a huge difference. ISn't it if mains are Large that it sets sub to 85hz? Not too sure on this. I'll have a huge experimentation tonight..

SethH

Senior HTF Member

This could be part of your problem. The crossover on the sub should be in the highest possible position. Then adjust the crossover on the receiver. It could be that you've had the sub crossed at 100Hz and the receiver at 120 or 150 so you've been losing information.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Yeah SethH i see what your saying there, i do believe im prob missing out on some information, but its more so that, where im sitting..the signal is weak, but when i stand up or move to the side its almost twice as strong. I've just tried the putting the sub in sitting position trick and unfortunately didnt find it any help. I faced the subwoofers driver to the seating position, is that correct? or is it back to the mains? As i moved around the floor it did change but it was only strongest when i sitting right behind it..which obviously is because im right near the driver.
Its just annoying coz there is bass leaking all around the room except for where im sitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks