What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Frank Borzage’s Desire is a refreshing change of pace for Marlene Dietrich at this point in her career, and her second pairing with Gary Cooper is delightfully spry and appealing.

Desire (1936)

Released: 28 Feb 1936
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 95 min

Director: Frank Borzage
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Romance

Cast: Marlene Dietrich, Gary Cooper, John Halliday
Writer(s): Hans Székely, Robert A. Stemmle, Edwin Justus Mayer

Plot: An automotive engineer bound for a holiday in Spain meets a sultry jewel thief.

IMDB rating: 7.1
MetaScore: 86

Disc Information

Studio: Universal
Distributed By: Kino Lorber
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1
Audio: English 2.0...

Continue reading...

Dan Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
The vertical line you mention happens during a night scene about 3 quarters into the picture and was hoping kino could have dealt with it but they dont do warner type restorations. It has been present in every single vhs and dvd version that i have seen and seems to be in one reel of the film for 5-10 min.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
The vertical line you mention happens during a night scene about 3 quarters into the picture and was hoping kino could have dealt with it but they dont do warner type restorations. It has been present in every single vhs and dvd version that i have seen and seems to be off and on in one reel of the film.
True, for the most part Kino's releases are not pristine like WA releases. That's not surprising to me considering the number of titles they release on a monthly basis compared to WA and Criterion.

Dan Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
True, for the most part Kino's releases are not pristine like WA releases. That's not surprising to me considering the number of titles they release on a monthly basis compared to WA and Criterion.
Yes i think kino just does color balancing for movies. I dont think they ever take out straches and lines and such. At least not in 30s movies. If they release a movie like beau geste, scratches would have been removed over the years by universal before kino got it.

Stuff like this does not bother me at all as long as the film grain remains everything is good for these old 30's films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekbd
Recent bookmarks