1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Designing Women - Complete Series release???

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by classicmovieguy, Mar 1, 2016.

1. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Do you think Shout! will ever go back and do a 'Complete Series' box for this? I think it would be cheaper than buying all 7 seasons individually (the last few seasons are still very pricey on Amazon).

2. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    This year the series turns 30, so it would be nice if Shout did a nice big box set. I would love to see what features they would included, I know they would have to have nice tributes to Dixie, Alice, and Meshach as the fans would probably lynch whoever was involved with this set if they didn't. It would be fun to know what Annie, Jean, and creator Linda Bloodworth-Thomason favorite episodes are as well.

3. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    A true, underrated classic sitcom.

MatthewA likes this.
  4. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I wouldn't care if there were any new bonuses; but "Women of the House" would be nice. Last I heard, VEI was going to release that (the deal must have fallen through).

5. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    I'd still like to know what happened with Mill Creek's intended release of Women of the House a few years ago. The cancellation was announced with, as I recall, no specific reasons provided. I still want that series; not great, but good, with the potential to get better if there'd been a 2nd season. It would be worth owning just for the Meshach Taylor/Anthony episode.

Regarding DW, after holding out for a complete series set I finally gave in a little over a year ago and bought all 7 individual seasons. It was annoying that the most expensive season was also my least favorite season (#6), but I wanted the whole thing. (There are several S6 episodes I really enjoy, but overall it was a disappointing season. S7, while flawed, was an improvement, IMO.)

I'm not expecting a complete series set at this point, but if there is it will likely be a duplication of content from the individual releases, with no additional bonuses. (Although I'd be fine with bonuses...such as that Lifetime reunion special from 2003...as long as such a bonus disc was available separately. Not expecting that to happen either.)

6. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I need to go back and re-purchase Seasons 1 & 2, along with Seasons 4-7. My original copies of the first 2 seasons have that dreadful "out-gassing" disease where the cases have left residues all over the discs.

7. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    I want a release of the follow up, WOMAN OF THE HOUSE!! Having the single seasons, I don't need a complete series release.

MatthewA likes this.
  8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I've got the whole series from the individual sets and I'm satisfied with that. Some of those outer boxes don't hold up. I've already got cracks in my copies of the complete All in the Family and The Facts of Life sets. And since Shout! rarely adds box-set-only extras like some studios (*cough*Paramount*cough*), I think I can wait to double-dip until such time, if any, that a HD version appears. They can do it for Fantasy Island and Seinfeld, so this at least deserves consideration from whoever at Sony makes those decisions.

9. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    If DW was videotaped then a Blu-ray is unlikely if not downright impossible.

With regard to 'Women Of the House', it was a show that started off with lots of potential, despite the frequent cast changes. Unfortunately the quality quickly fell when the show did not prove to be a hit. The highlight of the pilot episode was Suzanne & her adopted daughter lip-synching to 'And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going', a song that would possibly be edited out of any DVD releases.

10. Message #10 of 11 Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Dave Lawrence

Dave
    Finally!
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Women-House-Complete-12-Episode-Series/23981

I'd pretty much given up on seeing this series get a release after the earlier attempt was cancelled years ago. I hope the episodes are uncut; it's been awhile since I watched my old VHS recordings of some of the episodes but I recall a couple of instances where songs were included.

Now, if someone would just release Linda Bloodworth-Thomason's pre-DW sitcom featuring Delta and Dixie, Filthy Rich.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  11. Dave Lawrence

Dave
    Well, I finally got around to ordering a copy of Women of the House last week, and it arrived today.

For those who might be interested, the back of the box says this is "the complete 12 episode series". So they're counting the 1-hour premier as a single episode. There are 2 discs, 6 episodes on each, counting the premier as 1 episode.

The 1 episode I've watched so far was on Disc 2, "Women In Film". This was one of the 4 episodes that CBS never aired; eventually Lifetime had a night where Delta Burke hosted a marathon of those never-aired episodes. I wasn't surprised that Willie Nelson's version of "You Always Hurt the One You Love," which played during the final montage of this episode when it aired on Lifetime, was absent from the montage on the DVD. Curiously, I saw on IMDB this note regarding the episode: "The DVD/digital version retains the music that Bruce Miller had originally composed for the scene." (Miller did the music for all of the episodes as well as the majority of DW episodes.) I know that IMDB isn't always accurate, but I suppose it's possible that Miller had something ready for that final sequence, which was scrapped once they found they could use Nelson's song. So while the music has been altered in this episode on the disc, it actually reverted to the originally intended version.

The times for the 6 Disc 2 episodes are:
    The Afternoon Wife - 23:33
    Veda - 22:07
    Women In Film - 23:52
    North to Alaska - 23:24
    Dear Diary - 23:32
    The Conjugal Cottage - 22:58

The episode itself looked okay; no noticeable issues with picture or sound. The "CBS StereoSound Where Available" notice was still there at the beginning. (The series aired in 1995, when that was a common notice on CBS shows.)

Fun to see this episode again, which included an interesting variety of guest cameos, including Carol Burnett, Marilyn Chambers, Shirley Jones, Rita Moreno and Stefanie Powers. Looking forward to watching the remaining episodes.

Blimpoy06 likes this.