Designing a Theatre Newbie

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChrisFar, Apr 11, 2006.

1. ChrisFar

ChrisFar Auditioning

Hello All, I am designing a theatre to promote my videography business. I want a movie theatre atmosphere when clients come to preview their videos. I am thinking about the 60" Sony SXRD Television. I really liked the picture on the Unit. From there I do not have any idea of what components I would need. I assume the following

Receiver
    DVD Player
    Surround Sound
    Speakers
    What types of cabling give best performance.
    I would like to spend 3-5K on componets.
    Could the experts please provide me with Makes and models numbers of quality components.
    Thanks Chris

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

IMHO A true movie theater experience can only be had with quality front projection; anything else is close but no cigar. What is the size of your room?

3. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Amen Preach On!!

If you want to sell more videos you want to make the experience as engaging as possible. Why "settle" for a 60" inch image when you could have 110" or bigger. Just would really add to that WOW! factor.

As far as your equipment list I think that you have the "necessary" pieces there however if 3000-5000 is your budget then most of that will be spent on the SXRD I thought that the SXRD was about 4000 leaving you kind of short on the other equipment.

A good projector can run some where around the 2000 mark leaving some budget left for the other goodies.

For projectors look at the Panasonic AE900 and the Sanyo Z4
    DVD players OPPO, Panasonic S77/97, Samsung 850
    Recievers Onkyo 603,703 Yamaha RX-V1600, RX-V2500 Outlaw Audio 1070
    Speakers SVS SBS-01 or Ascend 170SE package

Don't get wound up about cables......most around here think that Monster is overpriced...some think that if you spend over 20 dollars on cables that you have spent too much. I would suggest that you buy good quality cables and not buy into the "snake oil" that some retailers have you believe. Check here and here for cables, both seem to come highly recommended.

Good luck with your business.

Rick

Disclaimer I'm not a professional nor do I even play one on TV. I don't own any of the equipment I have suggested (however I have researched them and some I intend to buy others not) so this is based on MY OPINION only and YMMV.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I don't have a front projection, but I ditto the two prior comments. Nothing says theater than a front projector. Especially since they do 1080i. The demonstration for your clients would be remembered.

5. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Another big "AMEN" to the gospel of front projection.

I only have 80" of it, but from where I sit, at less than 10 feet, the impact is nothing short of amazing. And once you've experienced it in your own home, you'll go through withdrawals if you ever have to go without it again.

On the other hand, I personally wouldn't fire up the projector and waste precious lamp time on variety shows and other such programs inherent to TV. I have a 32" WS CRT off to the side, which I use for small-time entertainment (i.e. kid's cartoons, video games, etc). We don't really watch any TV. For anybody who watches a lot of television, however, a rear projection unit or a flat panel may be a good compromise, but there are those who watch everything through their front projector, and to those people I say, "go for it," if you have good light control, etc.

The equipment list that Rick put forth is a good start, although I would add Denon DVD players and Klipsch speakers to it. Do a lot of research on your own, both on and off the Internet, get good equipment demonstrations and buy from a reputable dealer.

6. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

ChrisFar,

Perhaps the Sony monitor would be best for your particular setup, but since you mentioned movie atmosphere...Well nothing does it like quality front projection. [​IMG]