What's new

Designer "beer" (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Which one do you like?
I prefer Smirnoff Ice, but am partial to Bacardi Breezer (don't know about this newfangled Bacardi Silver :D).

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I prefer Smirnoff Ice, but am partial to Bacardi Breezer (don't know about this newfangled Bacardi Silver ). :D
I'm guessing this is why you have the word beer in quotation marks. These are as far from beer as you can get. They do both come in small bottles though.
I like Okanogan Springs Pale Ale a lot. We have a brew pub in town that serves an amazing Dunkelweisenbrau.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ron's is an authoritative voice about beer. Ignore him at your own risk!

(Try asking him if he likes--what's that stuff called?--Zinni. Or something like that. It was a citrus-flavored sort-of beer. Ugh. And let's don't get started on wine coolers, an '80s fad that had died a mercifully quick death.)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
That stuff is not "beer".
I know! :D That's why it's in quotation marks! I've seen some of your earlier threads... Do you like any of this stuff?
I want to know more about them so i can "wean" my girlfriend away from those Strawberry Strippers and the like...
hurl.gif

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I've never seen it in a bottle, but a bar around here has what they call "Snakebite". It's beer and apple cider in a glass. Yum.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I'm sorry Mark, but I am going to have to go with Ron P. too, yes it's a malted beverage, but is NOT beer! My opinion is that they are horrible!
However some of my bowling buddies like Zima and other citrus flavored malt beverages, if I drink at all at the lanes I usually go with "Fat Tire" myself.
But I am a serious bowler wanting to get on tour so I usually don't drink while I am bowling.
I can recommend some good beer though if your interested, however Ron is the Beer authority around here, so I would take his recommendations.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I want to know more about them so i can "wean" my girlfriend away from those Strawberry Strippers and the like...
Well if she enjoys them, why do you need to wean her? It sounds like from her preferences she would not adapt to a good Sam Adams or other excellent non-mass market brews. Besides if they make her happy, don't she make you happy?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Just make sure that when you try a new beer, it is fresh. Some places that began stocking boutique type beers and ales years ago still have some of the same stock. It drives me crazy to see people buy this outdated dreck and then declare that they 'don't like that fancy stuff.'
Beverage distributors need to realize that they should not buy the same amount of a small brewery's product as they do of Budweiser. I much prefer the small brewery's stuff, but it is difficult to find it fresh. At least Brooklyn Brewery dates their bottles, as does Sam Adams and several others. Sierra Nevada only dates the outside of the case, and Anchor 'codes' their bottles in some indecipherable letters and numbers. Fresh beer made in small batches is great stuff. Seek it out. Now, somebody start a wine thread, please.
Rant over. :angry:

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My wife bought a six-pack of Rick's Hard Lemonade and it says in tiny print on the label: "Lemon flavored beer" or something to that effect.

So, perhaps the brew process is similar.. but I wouldn't call it beer. Like the "clear beer" Miller test marketed (in St Louis, I believe)... it was beer.. it just didn't look like beer.

Dammit.. now I'm thirsty.. I'm off to my favorite biergarten.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
So it's Zima! Thanks, Sean. See what a deep impression that wretched stuff made on me? (It took me nearly a month to down an entire six-pack--during which month I have no idea how many twelve-packs of Tecate and Pacifico I downed.)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Fresh beer made in small batches is great stuff. Seek it out.
I agree. There are several small mico-breweries in my area that produce some of the freshest beers I've had. I will, on select weekends, pick up a 1-gallon size container of fresh beer. Of course, it does not last long and must be consumed without delay:)
Other than that, I have a local shop I hit and the guys will always get me the most recent shipment of bottled beers at my request.
Good beer is like fine wine. You don't just drink it, you enjoy it, savor it.
Peace Out~:D

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
So, perhaps the brew process is similar.. but I wouldn't call it beer. Like the "clear beer" Miller test marketed (in St Louis, I believe)... it was beer.. it just didn't look like beer.
It also tested here in Richmond while I was in college. I refused to even try it. That was a delicate and important time for me as a beer drinker as I had just turned 21 and was trying many different kinds of beers in order to sophisticate my palate. I didn't want to spoil myself with anything macro-brewed or as blatantly trendy as clear beer.

Richmond is a GREAT town for beer. In addition to hosting two excellent local micros (Legend and Main St.), it has the best beer store I have ever seen, Wine and Beer of Carytown.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Andrew, you are lucky,
My friend moved to Richmond and he only drank coors lite before he got there. You folks have weaned him off that crap by the mere fact it wasn't served on atp anywhere he went... Now when he visits he brings me a couple cases of assorted flavors from VA.
Ron,
You should start a recommendation thread and give us your faves. We can add as we go, but I am interested in trying all kinds of stuff. I usually have to order it on the net.
The most surprising beer I have had was Alda pine nut Ale.
It was on the menu somewhere and the waitress told me"You don't want that, it tastes like a Christmas tree." She came back and asked how I liked it, I said "It's the best Damn Christmas tree I ever drank!":D
dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks