Designating left and right speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Reddy, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Jay Reddy

Jay Reddy Auditioning

This is probably a stupid question, but how does one designate right and left speakers? What point of view do you use, so the appropriate signal is directed to its respective signal?

Thanks,

Jay

2. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

As you stand in your room, looking at your front/main speakers, the one on the left is the left and the same for the right. If you have surround speakers, keep facing forward, the one back to your right is the right surround and the same for the left.

Rob

3. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

There is usually no difference btw left an right speakers. I say usually because I am sure there is some company that designs their unit to go on either the right or left. Other then that your common speakers can be put on the right or the left. If you speakers actually say right and left on them the perspective to use is having them you and you looking directly at them.

The more important is to make sure you have the left and right RCA and speaker cables going to the correct speakers. So you don't have a plane fly of to the right and the sound comes out of the left.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As Lee said, if you are talking about physically how to determine which is which, most speakers are symmetric, meaning, it doesn't matter which side.

Here is an example of a non-symmetric speaker (the tweeter is slightly off center of the midbass):

[​IMG]

However, they could still be swapped and deliver slightly different imaging, depending on your taste.

5. Jay Reddy

Jay Reddy Auditioning

I was referring to the actual connections, because I'm experiencing sounds coming from speakers that don't mesh with what's on screen (like your airplane example).

Thanks for your help everyone.

Jay

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Jay,

Your decoder or receiver may have a test function (sending hiss to each speaker subsequently). If it does, usually a light will say which speaker you are supposed to hear.
    Furthermore, there are calibration discs, like the Avia Guide To Home Theater or Video Essentials. I think I cannot recommend one of those enough!

Cees

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, if all those things seem not to work, try a different disc/program/source. Sometimes you might have one set of inputs backwards. Also, don't trust that everything is done correctly. IE I got a pair of basic interconnects at a cambridge store once, and the red/white were flipped on both ends, so it ended up L/R flipped, and only because I was methodical, and double checked that the left actually stayed the left and vice-versa, did I catch it. Doubtless the person I was setting everything up for woulda caught it.

Also, not only check all those things, but if something's not matching, it may be a particular disk, or source medium. I have a VHS of Ronin, and the soundtrack somehow got put on there in reverse, so back in the day when I watched that on the VCR, i'd have to flip the audio connection. So try a different movie/cd whatever too.

If you've checked ALL that, and followed Rob's layout explanation, and something is still messed up, it is of course theoretically possible that your receiver is messed up.