What's new

Designated Survivor (ABC>Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
From what I've picked up, restarting again March 8.

Silly but fun to watch, I'll stick with it.

Anybody know when "The Last Ship" comes back? Just as far-fetched, but enjoyable, especially since this will now be season four.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I bailed on this a long time ago because it's just too implausible in too many different ways. I thought it had been canceled. I'll be surprised if it isn't.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have removed it from my DVR Record List. I read that when the show returns it March, it's going to have more of a soap opera slant moving forward rather than a political thriller slant. That ended any hesitation I had about remaining on board.

The show is the one network broadcast that benefits most from seven days of DVR viewership. Its household ratings and audience size typically doubles over the course of a week, so its renewal is pretty secure.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I gave up on this show a long time ago. Furthermore, my TV series viewing is going to be cut even moreso as I've become disenchanted with network shows. I think my entertainment hours need to take in more films in place of TV shows. Frankly, TV shows have become boring as I catch myself fast forwarding through too many of the shows I watch now which is telling me they're not entertaining enough for me.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Our family dropped this as it was becoming a chore just to sit through the regualr soap conventions. The political intrigue that was prominently featured in the trailers was gone and so are we.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Oh come on guys, it's not that bad.

I'll try out the rest of the season for a few episodes and may very well join you in dropping it, but it's at least worth giving it a shot.

My first casualty so far is "Ransom", wow that show is awful.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not going to dump on anybody for liking any show, but DESIGNATED SURVIVOR is bad, IMHO. Both my wife and I love Sutherland but this show was too much for us to bear anymore as we were constantly screaming at the TV when characters continually didn't operate at maximum capacity; that is, they didn't do the smart thing that would get them out of trouble; they did the dumb thing to foster more trouble.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oh come on guys, it's not that bad.

I'll try out the rest of the season for a few episodes and may very well join you in dropping it, but it's at least worth giving it a shot.

My first casualty so far is "Ransom", wow that show is awful.
We're all different, thus, I think the show is that bad.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought last night's first new episode after the break made some good advances in learning more about MacLeish's motives. We also finally got to see Agent Wells get through to Agent Ritter, then to Kirkman. All in fun soapy style. :)

I was surprised Kirkman was actually shot, I was expecting a miss or another high ranking official might have been hit. The Reagan moment out the window was fun, if improbable that soon after surgery.

What is the deal with Aaron, I suspect he's a good guy and was set up.

From the responses to this thread, I must be the only one who watched! :)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I enjoyed last night's episode.

The meetup at the end worked for me.

Also, they often talk a president's first 100 days. But look at Macleish's first 100 minutes. He kills the stock market and an assassin.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought last night's first new episode after the break made some good advances in learning more about MacLeish's motives. We also finally got to see Agent Wells get through to Agent Ritter, then to Kirkman. All in fun soapy style. :)

I was surprised Kirkman was actually shot, I was expecting a miss or another high ranking official might have been hit. The Reagan moment out the window was fun, if improbable that soon after surgery.

I to was happy to see the Prez learn more about the conspiracy. It was driving me crazy that Wells wasn't talking to Kirkman.

As someone who has recently had major surgery, I can testify that there's no way he gets out of bed that quickly, but hey, it was a Hollywood surgical operation.

I too hope Aaron is innocent.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

I completely forgot about it until I saw that there were posts in this thread. :) [Having had to get a new DVR during the break meant that I needed to set all new timers ....]

I was also surprised that Kirkman had been shot. Nice fakeout with his wife having blood and then it turns out that it was him.

Aaron definitely seems set up. I hope they figure that out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I also enjoyed the return episode. The episodes leading up to the midseason cliffhanger were so frustrating that I was really on the fence about continuing with it. But the midseason premiere did a number of things to put the show on stronger footing for the back half of the season:
  1. Having the president be the one who got shot was a smart move. MacLeish's brief tenure as acting president gave us a small glimpse of the conspirators' agenda. Certainly the stock market plunging in the aftermath of Kirkman's assassination was a key part of their plans.
  2. After a half-season where the conspirators' plans went off without a hitch, to the point where our protagonists had to act implausibly stupid at times, they finally hit some hiccups this episode. First with Kirkman surviving the shot and then the surgery, and later with him appearing in the window and curbing the selloff in the markets that they were counting on. Seeing MacLeish feel the invisible noose slowly closing in around them was very satisfying.
  3. Tying into that, the characters finally were allowed to act intelligently. Kirkman put the Speaker on notice about MacLeish before invoking the 25th Amendment, under the principle that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Agent Wells found a way to get the information about the conspiracy to Ritter without tipping off the FBI, and Ritter in turn found a way to get Wells in a room with Kirkman. Emily kept her mouth shut to Aaron about the suspicions against him, refusing to give him any more information than what he'd already inferred. Aaron in turn questioning MacLeish's questionable decisions.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought it was unwise of the Speaker to tell the new VP that she was watching him. She should not have let him know there were suspicions about him.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I enjoy this show. It's not high art and I had difficulty watching the first 6-7 episodes but enjoyed the later episodes more.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
... First with Kirkman surviving the shot and then the surgery, and later with him appearing in the window and curbing the selloff in the markets that they were counting on.
I don't know if the market recovery hurt their plans. If they were counting on buying low, then they had the opportunity during the plunge. The quick market recovery meant they could get their profits sooner.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't know if the market recovery hurt their plans. If they were counting on buying low, then they had the opportunity during the plunge. The quick market recovery meant they could get their profits sooner.
I think the idea was to trash the American economy, not to make a killing on the market.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A lot happened in this week's episode. MacLeish's clandestine meeting ended unexpectedly, as did his wife's. Whatever is behind this plot is so big, no one involved can be allowed to talk! Though they've got the twitchy guy that MacLeish was meeting. Unless he gets its too.

I did wonder what the secret service guys were thinking by taking MacLeish out there and what did they do once Wells confront MacLeish.

Also surprised by what happened Jason Atwood's son.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks