What's new

Designated Survivor (ABC>Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I'm really trying to love this show but I think the writing is very lazy. I'm sorry but, if the WH was being attacked, secret service would have been in the oval office immediately and probably rush the POTUS to a bunker. This show waited until the attack was almost over to send some into the room. I just found that to be stupid and that is just one example where the writing in this show just isn't very smart. It does just enough to get me to continue watching even with all the eye rolling moments.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm really trying to love this show but I think the writing is very lazy. I'm sorry but, if the WH was being attacked, secret service would have been in the oval office immediately and probably rush the POTUS to a bunker. This show waited until the attack was almost over to send some into the room. I just found that to be stupid and that is just one example where the writing in this show just isn't very smart. It does just enough to get me to continue watching even with all the eye rolling moments.

Oh yes, the writing is terribly lazy. The entire story line is preposterous. Usually stuff like this shows up in the summer as your basic popcorn type of show, but looks like it will be around for a while.

I just wish they'd kill off the second designated survivor, can't stand her. But I guess they need another character to help create some drama.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Like someone mentioned before. They should have been a few other people (ie-Congressman, Scotus Judges) who survived because they didn't go. It would have been interesting to see a lone surviving Scotus Judge.

3 episodes in...Definitely looking like a US based coupe attempt. Which makes sense since I find it extremely hard to believe they were able to get bombs big enough to cause that kind of damage into the Capital Bldg without inside help.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm still enjoying the show very much, but the multiple mini-disasters every episode seem a little thickly laid on, like too much plotting packed into an hour. I'd rather get to know the major characters a little better and maybe have one crisis per episode rather than three.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was frustrated with the A plot involving the compound in Algeria containing the terrorist identified as being responsible for the attack on the Capitol, in which the only two options considered were an aerial bombing and surveillance only. Kirkman's argument against the aerial bombing, that we possibly had an asset on site, was the wrong one; the general was absolutely right that he knew the risks and was willing to take them on behalf of his country. But there was a reason President Obama didn't order an aerial bombing of bin Laden's compound in Pakistan even though it would have been lower risk with a higher probability of success: With a target that high profile, you need confirmation of death, and you need as much evidence as it's feasible to gather. If the only thing left is a charred crater, there's always that lurking possibility that the target escaped. Given that Kirkman still has reservations that this terrorist's group is behind the attack, the impetus to do as much intelligence gathering as possible would only seem to strengthen the argument for a riskier strike team operation.

On the B plot, with the Michigan governor again sniffing weakness in the aftermath of Kirkman's admission of his imminent dismissal in that interview, it frustrated me that Emily didn't assert her right as a private citizen to assemble. But I was pleasantly surprised when Kirkman had the governor arrested, which was exactly the right call. When the governor challenged him privately, he could address the situation privately. But when the governor challenged him publicly, he had to respond publicly. It was the same with the general who pulled a Douglas MacArthur in the PEOC. Kirkman needed to forcefully make it clear that challenging his authority has consequences. It might cost him the presidency, but if he hadn't the presidency would be worthless.

Something tells me that the new First Lady is going to regret making a deal with Congresswoman Hookstraten. She has to redirect her engagement from micro concerns about individual clients to using her pulpit to shape perceptions of issues she cares about on a macro level.

I was gratified to see Hookstraten refer to herself as 50 percent of Congress, given MacLeish's seemingly miraculous survival. The opposition party can designate its own survivor if it wants, but that survivor has no formal role. Kirkman referred to her at one point as the de facto Speaker of the House, and that is for all intents and purposes true since she's the only one in a position to speak for Congress's concerns. But until an election can occur to repopulate the House and Senate, the legislative agenda is basically stalled. Much like Lincoln did, Kirkman is going to make the decisions he thinks he needs to make to keep the country together, and the messes that arise will get sorted out later once the other two branches are brought back online.

I did like to see Seth Wright step up as press secretary and prove himself a skillful representative of the president. It's gotten frustrating having everybody else define Kirkman's narrative, and it's good that he has someone in his corner that can do that a consistent basis.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I was frustrated with the A plot involving the compound in Algeria containing the terrorist identified as being responsible for the attack on the Capitol, in which the only two options considered were an aerial bombing and surveillance only. Kirkman's argument against the aerial bombing, that we possibly had an asset on site, was the wrong one; the general was absolutely right that he knew the risks and was willing to take them on behalf of his country. But there was a reason President Obama didn't order an aerial bombing of bin Laden's compound in Pakistan even though it would have been lower risk with a higher probability of success: With a target that high profile, you need confirmation of death, and you need as much evidence as it's feasible to gather. If the only thing left is a charred crater, there's always that lurking possibility that the target escaped. Given that Kirkman still has reservations that this terrorist's group is behind the attack, the impetus to do as much intelligence gathering as possible would only seem to strengthen the argument for a riskier strike team operation.

On the B plot, with the Michigan governor again sniffing weakness in the aftermath of Kirkman's admission of his imminent dismissal in that interview, it frustrated me that Emily didn't assert her right as a private citizen to assemble. But I was pleasantly surprised when Kirkman had the governor arrested, which was exactly the right call. When the governor challenged him privately, he could address the situation privately. But when the governor challenged him publicly, he had to respond publicly. It was the same with the general who pulled a Douglas MacArthur in the PEOC. Kirkman needed to forcefully make it clear that challenging his authority has consequences. It might cost him the presidency, but if he hadn't the presidency would be worthless.

Something tells me that the new First Lady is going to regret making a deal with Congresswoman Hookstraten. She has to redirect her engagement from micro concerns about individual clients to using her pulpit to shape perceptions of issues she cares about on a macro level.

I was gratified to see Hookstraten refer to herself as 50 percent of Congress, given MacLeish's seemingly miraculous survival. The opposition party can designate its own survivor if it wants, but that survivor has no formal role. Kirkman referred to her at one point as the de facto Speaker of the House, and that is for all intents and purposes true since she's the only one in a position to speak for Congress's concerns. But until an election can occur to repopulate the House and Senate, the legislative agenda is basically stalled. Much like Lincoln did, Kirkman is going to make the decisions he thinks he needs to make to keep the country together, and the messes that arise will get sorted out later once the other two branches are brought back online.

I did like to see Seth Wright step up as press secretary and prove himself a skillful representative of the president. It's gotten frustrating having everybody else define Kirkman's narrative, and it's good that he has someone in his corner that can do that a consistent basis.

Thanks for the synopsis. Haven't watched it yet, but with certain shows spoilers don't bother me.

Like Chris Will stated above, there are plenty of eye rolling moments :mellow:

Add in the fact that almost every member of the government is killed at the same time. Really?

But it's a fun waste of 45 minutes a week. Part of what makes it work is the actors take everything so seriously. That must be hard to do knowing how silly the story really is.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And it looks like Aaron Shore might finally be fully backing Kirkman now.

Yes and that favor Hookstraten will ask for will no doubt be trouble for the First Lady and Kirkman.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Pleased with all of the ongoing developments. Really appreciated the firing of the general and the arresting of the governor. Under the circumstances, the President really had no other viable choices.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm enjoying the show to a degree but I guess I was expecting more "fish out of water" than "The American President". Kirkman seems far too seasoned in his position for someone thrust into the presidency. It's funny how they try to address that with an intimate scene every once in while between POTUS and FLOTUS, but I guess that's just an indication of the lazy writing mentioned earlier.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Really enjoyed this week's episode. Some excellent tension involving the mission intercut with information about the hidden safe room, and Kirkman's diligence in trying to do the right thing I find very touching.

Could this have been a dastardly way to get someone into the vice presidency and ultimately into the top spot? It's looking that way. And the birth question will be another juicy tangle to complicate matters.

I'm really loving the show.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Kind of made fun of this earlier, but I'm really beginning to enjoy this.

So far, "Designated Survivor", "Timeless" and "MacGyver" are my top three out of all the new shows. There may be some other good ones, but I'm trying out about 20 of them, only so many hours in a day :D

Already lost a few. "Bull" and "Lethal Weapon" due to scheduling against other favorites. I could switch to the Hopper with DISH, but then I'd never get off the couch. :rolleyes:

"Notorious" and "The Exorcist", done. "Eyewitness" - borderline.

"Hell's Kitchen" dropped last year. And sadly, after the Negan opener to season 7, "The Walking Dead" joins it's cousin "FTWD" and no longer on the DVR schedule.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm really hoping the VP talk is about a running mate, because otherwise they'd be making the same mistake "Veep" did. I did like the scene where Kirkman notified Congress about the imminent attack, which consisted of inviting both members into the oval office for a chat.

After we got the very shoehorned lines about the personal lives of the two SEALs, I was sure one of them was going to bite the bullet. That being the case, I was surprised when Dylan Walsh's team leader was the one who got killed.

I also appreciate that the conspiracy has left a bit of a paper trail. The fact that Virginia Madsen's character turned over the damning renovation plans leads me to believe that she isn't central to the conspiracy.

The storyline with the guy in prison maybe being the biological father of the Kirkmans's son was a real groaner of a plot development. With all of the drama organic to such a heightened premise, they didn't need to be reaching for soap opera castoffs -- especially not five episodes in.

Overall, it hasn't lived up to that tremendous pilot, but I'm still enjoying it.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm having some credibility problems. The second the FBI realized the surviving congressman is likely compromised, they would have either moved to contain him or notified the president of the possibility. The show lost a lot of cred with me because that didn't happen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh my gosh, Designated Survivor is addictive!
I watched the first four on Sunday and caught up last night.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The writers are shamefully using manipulation a bit too freely: what are the odds that the governors would demand the one thing that is closest to the heart of the President's wife giving him an impossible choice?

I can't summon up much enthusiasm for the delving into the parentage of the President's son either.

Otherwise, the show certainly has me hooked.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The show definitely has a "guilty pleasure" quality to it, kind of like '24' the last several seasons. So flawed and frustrating...but yet I keep coming back...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks